Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement neck

Hey guys,

I know this probably sounds loco since the neck is the major reason why so many like Charvels in the first place, but I've just grown out my thin neck years and prefer more of a '59 feel in my old age. I recently picked up a San Dimas Style 1 and although it's a fun guitar to play, I can't bond with the thin neck. Prior to buying it, I was considering building a Warmoth super strat with one of their fat necks ('59, boatneck, etc.), so I'm thinking at this point that I'll sell the neck and keep the body and replace it with something aftermarket. It definitely seems to be the easiest and most cost effective way to get what I want since the body has all the specs that I'd want if I started from scratch. Plus, resale on these guitars seems low while individual parts (in my case - the neck) seem to fetch a good price. With that being said, does anyone know if a Warmoth neck would be a direct replacement on a San Dimas Style1 or would I need to go through Musikraft or elsewhere? I really like Warmoth's stuff, especially their '59 carve necks. Thanks.

the heel is the wrong size. charvels are 2 1/4 and warmoth is 2 3/16

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      the heel is the wrong size. charvels are 2 1/4 and warmoth is 2 3/16
      Thanks. It looks like Musikraft would be the way to go then.

Comment

I don't think the SD-1's heel is quite 2 1/4" but it's definitely more than 2 3/16" so you'll either have a gap if you buy a Warmoth or (likely) have to do some hand-fitting to get a Musikraft neck on there.

Comment

It must vary. I remember your situation, but I put a model 4 neck on my sd1 body and it fit like a glove.

Comment

I really did NOT have to trim the neck that much. But I *did* have to fit it.

Based on what everyone else's results are, I think my neck must have been a little over-oversized.

Comment

Well here is another option - sell the charvel and get a jackson adrian smith model (either maple or ebony) and swap the pups/guard to taste.

The neck profile is still cool and very full (actually very similar to an 82 s-head charvel which I have without the 20 years of play wear).

Just a thought for the best of both worlds.
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                Well here is another option - sell the charvel and get a jackson adrian smith model (either maple or ebony) and swap the pups/guard to taste.

The neck profile is still cool and very full (actually very similar to an 82 s-head charvel which I have without the 20 years of play wear).

Do you have one too? I haven't pulled the pickguard yet on mine... you know what's under there?
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post

That's a pretty expensive option. I'd actually love to check out an Adrian Smith model, but $2k is out of my range. I honestly don't think I'd fork out that much for a basic strat if I could swing it anyway. I'm less concerned with what's on the headstock these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    Do you have one too? I haven't pulled the pickguard yet on mine... you know what's under there?
                    I'm really curious as to whether that is a "standard" Strat pickguard and route (HOPE!) or it's a "Charvel Socal" type of pickguard.

The reason I say this is that I would likely want to put a couple of SA's and an 89 in one if I got it and I would not want to hack the stock pickguard's rounded corners to get the EMG to fit, I'd just put it away somewhere safe and get a Warmoth replacement if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                      The reason I say this is that I would likely want to put a couple of SA's and an 89 in one if I got it and I would not want to hack the stock pickguard's rounded corners to get the EMG to fit, I'd just put it away somewhere safe and get a Warmoth replacement if possible.
                      Its definately rounded around the humbucker, its not old-skool square. After that, the other difference is going to be the neck pocket size.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Another option (probably too high priced) would be a PC1. They are supposed to be the fatty of Jackson necks.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          Its definately rounded around the humbucker, its not old-skool square. After that, the other difference is going to be the neck pocket size.
                          Yeah, I think I could handle trimming the pickguard to fit the neck, so long as everything else jives.

Try it out for me. Just take your Dave Murray Strat apart and try the pickguard on your Adrian Smith. It's not too much to ask, is it? :ROTF:

Comment

Some of you guys sound like jackson guitar salesman.

Comment

Working...
                            X