Why do EMG's sound kinda sterile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do EMG's sound kinda sterile?

First i use and like EMG so lets try to stay mature and refrain from the EMG bashing.
    Just wanted to ask why they have that sorta sterile tone and dont have real good dynamics like passive duncans?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

I think it has something to do with the fact they compress (or some will call it normalising) whereas passive pickups don't. However, some people swear by them in that the "sterile" sound allows players to get a better result out of "flat" or "sterile" pickups. I'm already thinking of getting an 81/85 set. I constructed some patches on my Boss GT-10 using Dimarzios and Duncans, then used a guitar with an 81/85 set and it made the patch sound more powerful.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Q: Why do EMG's sound kinda sterile?

A: Because they use Kirk Hammett's sperm when making them.

Seriously, IMHO, a lot of it likely has to do with their flat EQs and "non-responsiveness" to picking dynamics. In many respects, passive pickups do just the opposite.

But I really dislike EMGs, so WTF do I know.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        But I really dislike EMGs, so WTF do I know.
        plenty.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          Q: Why do EMG's sound kinda sterile?

A: Because they use Kirk Hammett's sperm when making them.

lmfao! I know i asked for a serious reply but i am glad u said this i am still fukin tearin from laughin!
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

They don't sound sterile to me. I love their sound, especially the 85 in the bridge and the 81 or 60 in the neck.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I am guessing the "sterile" sound is due to their fairly flat frequency response. Again I am guessing, but this could be due to less wire coiled around the magnets which reduces inductance. Passive pickups, especially hot ones, get pretty massive inductance due to many wraps around the magnets.
              "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                They don't sound sterile to me. I love their sound, especially the 85 in the bridge and the 81 or 60 in the neck.
                i agree, try the 60 in the neck , very articulate pickup.

Comment

EMG RULZ!!!

Passvie = FAIL!!!
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
                    i agree, try the 60 in the neck , very articulate pickup.
                    actually i want to try the new X Series! These are said to have much better dynamics and headroom.

Comment

I don't think EMG single coils sound sterile at all. They're pretty dynamic to me. Humbuckers less so but, still some dynamics.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

EMG's have a slight character, but I think of them as a canvas for adding Effects and creating the overall "painting".
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                          EMG's have a slight character, but I think of them as a canvas for adding Effects and creating the overall "painting".
                          This I agree with. I have EMGs in my Strat (DG20 system) and with the tone shaping controls in use, I can get great tones out of the guitar.

Not sure about just the pups though....

Comment

I love the 85 in the bridge... And I have 2 others with 81/85 set and I like what they do as well. I'm thinking about an 85/SA/60 for the JDR-94 if I keep the middle but it will probably be EMG's whatever I go with. Maybe I don't know what you mean by "sterile". I just think there's more to the sound with EMG's than the JB/Jazz in the Kelly I have. Hard to put into words... But I like both for different things and reasons.
                            Last edited by warlok; 07-25-2009, 03:00 AM.
                            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

85 in bridge here as well.

One "trick"- don't raise it too high, too close to the strings.
                              And although I haven't done it yet, try the 18V mod.

Comment

Working...
                              X