Action/intonation problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action/intonation problem

Hey there, I just got my DXMG Dinky back from getting a string change. I put DR strings mediums on it. When I got it back, the bridge was at a 45 degree angle, and I fixed that with screwdriving the springs very tight. But now this is happening :

Thats muchhhhh higher action than I like. Is this a truss rod issue or something to do with the bridge itself?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Hellbat
    Hey this is METAL. You don't need to roll with your homies and G's in a fkn Bentley while sippin' Cristal. You want to eat food that makes you want to curb stomp people. McDonalds delivers that. At least they weren't throwing back flapjacks at the Denny's across the street.

Not to be an ass, but if it came back from a string change and the bridge was at a 45 degree angle, don't bring it back to whoever did it. If the angle changed, I assume you went to a different gauge of strings. Going to a different gauge of strings may require a truss rod change depending on how drastic the gauge change and if you went to a different tuning. I would tune the strings, but give it a day or two for the neck to settle to the new tension before adjusting the truss rod. You should be able to sight down the neck and see if the neck has an upbow or downbow due to the new string guage.
    With all of the above being said, if you didn't change to a different guage of strings, I don't know what they did.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking about taking it back to him, because I thought he didn't see it. But I was just wondering if it was an easy fix I could do myself, or I would have to bring it back for.
      Hey this is METAL. You don't need to roll with your homies and G's in a fkn Bentley while sippin' Cristal. You want to eat food that makes you want to curb stomp people. McDonalds delivers that. At least they weren't throwing back flapjacks at the Denny's across the street.

Comment

OMG... What did they do to get your strings to glow pink like that?!?

Sorry. Those are some bad pics.

Also not to be an ass, but if you're paying someone to change your strings, then, you should take this back and make them fix it. Although it doesn't seem like they are exactly competent...

Know a good guitar tech, and not the one who put these strings on? You might need a "setup" if you're going a string guage change. This involves intonation (maybe) truss rod (usually) and tremolo spring adjustment (always) and should be done by someone at least fairly competent.

Comment

See, well when I got it back I thought I should go back and tell him to fix my guitar. But then, knowing you guys are very knowledgable I thought maybe there was a simple fix. I guess I'll just take it back?

Comment

Yes, take it back.
            Why are you paying someone to change your strings? It's a 2 minute job.

If you had a set of heavy gauge strings on the guitar, then the guy replaced the with lighter ones, the bridge would sit high like yours. It's not a case of just screwing the thing down, you need to do it while tuning it as well.

Take it back, get it fixed, then do it yourself next time. Assuming you always use the same gauge strings it will be a very easy job and save you some $$$ too.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I feel kind of stupid, because when I chose the DR strings they were mediums and that's one of the three kinds they offer (light,medium,heavy). I thought those mediums would probably be close to my old EB's. I guess I was wrong. So your saying I should just take it back so he can adjust the truss rod and whatnot? And I don't think I could string a floyd rose myself...

Comment

Take it back and tell the guy to get it sorted. You paid him right? He shoulda done the job properly, it's a piss easy job, and to take money for it then do it wrong? That's taking the piss.

Changing strings on a Floyd is not hard at all. Two easy ways to do it:

1- Change each string one at a time.
                Take one off, replace it with new one, tune it to match the old one. Do next string. Repeat until all 6 are changed.

OR:

2- All six at once.
                Block the trem using something like a clothes peg. Take off all 6 strings. Put on new strings, tighten them all up a bit. Take out clothes peg, tune guitar.

It really is that simple.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Alright, I'll remember that and do it myself from now. But I'm waiting two days like ulja said to see if the neck will just settle back to the original spot. But if it doesn't, I sure as hell will take it back to the guitar guy to fix it. Thanks for the help Martin.

Comment

I use an eraser to block the bridge if I do the all at once method. You just tilt the trem forward then put the eraser under it. It stays perfectly level and take two seconds to take out and it doesn't scratch the body.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

if i brought my guitar to have something as simple as a string change done and he didn't even set it up and gave it back to me with the bridge on a 45, i wouldn't even want him to touch the guitar again because he obviously doesn't know what he is doing. i would go back get my money back and take it somewhere else. I you have leveled your bridge by adjusting your springs and its still that high you need to tighten your truss rod to start but if you dont know how just take it somewhere else.

Comment

This is why I tell guitarists to learn how to make EVERY necessary adjustment to their instruments. I had a bad set-up job once and this motivated me to figure out what I need to do to make it work to my standards. It isn't rocket science.
                        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Take it back. The repairman is an idiot.If you don't have this book http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-...8552884&sr=8-2

If you own a guitar, and you need to have knowledge, this belongs in everyone's library IMO.

This book will tell you how to buy a used or new guitar (what to look for), set it up, repair it and refinish or build one yourself or ship it, and it's all in one book.

Here's another on of Dan's books that is very helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guita...8553004&sr=8-1

Best of Luck!
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks guys, I read all of your info and am trying to comprehend and follow. The bridge is now perfectly level, but the saddles are risen a bit, so I was thinking if that means the neck is bowed. Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

You can raise and lower the saddles to lower or bring the action up or down. But, before you go any further check the bow in the neck. Put a capo on at the first fret and then press the low E string down at the last fret. At the 7th fret you should have .008-.010" between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret. Use a feeler gage, or if you don't have one sight at the side of the neck in good light and look for a tiny gap. If your Jeff Beck you can go with 0 (Zero) gap.

Do this on the high E string as well. You can adjust the gap by straighting the neck with the truss rod nut. This should be done carefully at a 1/4 turn per neck check.

The saddles can then be checked using a radius gage.

For saddle action, If you have radius gages, they make saddle height adjustments easier. You can also make a radius gage out of cardboard or an old credit card as well. If you know your fretboard radius, which is most likely 16" (compund neck 12-16") at the last fret you can make up a gage. I don't know if you have screws on your saddles or not. If your saddles are like an OFR, you will have to use brass shims to raise the saddles.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X