Replacement Body for San Dimas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Body for San Dimas?

I want to replace the body on my USA Charvel San Dimas. Does anyone know if USA Charvel necks will fit standard Strat neck pockets? If not, is it only a matter of shaving off some wood from the neck pocket of the body?

Thanks

They should not. The heel is supposed to be 2 1/4" vs. Fender strat standard 2 3/16th.

You could route out the body to fit, yes.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

there's a guy on evilbay who parts off USA pros, bodies trems, necks, ect.

Comment

They definitely do not fit Strat bodies without modification. I tested it about a week ago, I had the SoCal and a Strat apart for tweaks/mods/cleaning.

Comment

Thanks!

Has anyone here ever modified a regular Strat body to fit a Charvel neck? How much shaving is needed?

Comment

Why do you want to change the body to a Fender strat body?
            THIS IS MY POST
            Thanks for reading

Comment

The body is way too heavy and I don't think it's very good tone wood. I want a lighter more resonate body. I also want the jack to be a top-mounted oval jack so it's not in the way when I'm sitting down.

Comment

If you have never shaved a neck pocket before and aren't sure of your skills then take it to a reputable luthier and have him fit the body to the neck so its done properly and not mis-aligned.

Comment

The Production Models are not as big as the Custom Shops in my experience, but I'm very sure the SD/SoCal heel is over 2 & 3/16" (Fender).

It's possible to trim the heel of the neck, or modify the pocket. It's generally more acceptable to modify the body, depending (i.e. if it's not acceptable to modify the body, the neck can be modified instead.)

Musikraft offers bodies with Charvel neck pocket specs. I don't think they do one with a top route, though.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    The Production Models are not as big as the Custom Shops in my experience, but I'm very sure the SD/SoCal heel is over 2 & 3/16" (Fender).

It's possible to trim the heel of the neck, or modify the pocket. It's generally more acceptable to modify the body, depending (i.e. if it's not acceptable to modify the body, the neck can be modified instead.)

Musikraft offers bodies with Charvel neck pocket specs. I don't think they do one with a top route, though.
                    Ditto on all that. I'd mod the body before the neck. if you really love the neck its a bit more expensive to replace IMHO. Musikraft is probably the place to go but get a really good meaurement on the neck pocket of the Charvel (if the neck fits snugly) and the neck heel dims. Musickraft makes some different pocket sizes....good luck.
                    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

The body is way too heavy and I don't think it's very good tone wood. I want a lighter more resonate body. I also want the jack to be a top-mounted oval jack so it's not in the way when I'm sitting down.
                      no offense but I think you need to clean out your ears. These bodies are huge tone wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                        no offense but I think you need to clean out your ears. These bodies are huge tone wise.
                        I agree! Unless you just don't like Alder I don't really see the point in this IMO. If you were to put it on an Ash or Basswood body maybe this is worth the effort but otherwise it sounds like cork-sniffing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                          I agree! Unless you just don't like Alder I don't really see the point in this IMO. If you were to put it on an Ash or Basswood body maybe this is worth the effort but otherwise it sounds like cork-sniffing to me.
                          Who doesn't like Alder? That's ridiculous! Alder is like the least offensive wood there is - everyone likes it.

Sure, you'll find lovers and haters of Ash, Basswood, Poplar, mahagony - but Alder? I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about it.

-------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by rattojack View Post
                            ...I also want the jack to be a top-mounted oval jack so it's not in the way when I'm sitting down.

Can't comment on your other points, but just buy a new cable with a right-angled jack and viola, issue solved.

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
                              If you have never shaved a neck pocket before and aren't sure of your skills then take it to a reputable luthier and have him fit the body to the neck so its done properly and not mis-aligned.
                              Won't the mounting holes align the neck to the body anyway?
                              Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Working...
                              X