Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairline crack help!?

Hi guys i hope you can help me out here:
    Yesterday i bought an RR1T, and it is in mint condition except for one thing. The seller replaced the pickup rings just the day before i bought it, and it resulted in a long hairline crack in the finish. it originates from where one of the pickup ring screws are located. It is really devastating for the guitars appearance, as it is otherwise like new.

According to the seller the crack did not show up immediately after he screwed the new pickup rings on, but was there the morning after. The guitar has supposedly been lying in its case for 6 months before he did the replacement.
    So I'm thinking the wood may have been dried out and therefore split because of the screw?

the crack seems to in the white finish, but does not seem to be in the clear coat on top.

My question is:
    Is this purely a cosmetic issue, or is there at chance the guitar's body wood is damaged. if so could it damage the guitar for real, and will the crack get bigger?

Also is it possible to repair/touch up the finish so that the crack becomes invisible, or would that require a complete refinish of the guitar?
    I am really worried, hope you guys can give me some advice here!

here is some pics of the crack:

Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Woah! I have never seen a crack that long from such a small screw. It's most likely originating in the wood, but not deep. I would just leave it. Where was the guitar stored?

In order to repair it so you would not see it would be major. The finish would have to be removed, the crack in the wood repaired and then refinished.
    The only other thing that could hide it somewhat, is to apply some graphics to help mask the crack, but it would still be there.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
      Woah! I have never seen a crack that long from such a small screw. It's most likely originating in the wood, but not deep. I would just leave it. Where was the guitar stored?

In order to repair it so you would not see it would be major. The finish would have to be removed, the crack in the wood repaired and then refinished.
      The only other thing that could hide it somewhat, is to apply some graphics to help mask the crack, but it would still be there.
      It was stored on top of his closet...

Man, it really sucks that there is nothing to do about it... do you think it will get worse, or damage the guitar in the long run?
      Guitars:
      Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
      Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
      Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
      BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
      ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Comment

If you can't snag it with a fingernail, it's most likely just a superficial finish crack. I'd leave it alone, personally.
        Your friendly neighborhood import whore :: '08 DK2M, '08 DKMG, '03 KVX10, '94 Dinky Rev.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazphemer View Post
          It was stored on top of his closet...

Man, it really sucks that there is nothing to do about it... do you think it will get worse, or damage the guitar in the long run?
          I think only time will tell if it damages the the guitar. While that is the direction of the grain of the wood in my trans finish RR1, I would bet that its just the finish that cracked on the underside.

If the guitar sounds and plays fine I wouldn't worry myself. Just be careful about hitting the front face or top horn up against anything. The guy probably was careless re-inserting the screws, or used different ones that were larger than the original ones causing the crack.

I would only worry about it if the crack gets wider or the finish starts to lift. The crack will probably grow a little longer over time but I would only worry about it getting wider really.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Damn that sucks. What did he screw the rings down with, 3" decking screws?!?

Comment

while it could be in the wood, i think it's more finish related, and looks like he went apeshit with the screws...although i'm surprised that the same screw would do that.

the same kind of thing can happen to headstocks if you overtighten the bushings into the washer around the tuning pegs. the clear will bubble up around it; learned that one the hard way.

anyway, as others have said, the only way to get rid of it is a refin.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

aww thats pretty shitty..to us we see a hairline crack, I'm sure you see a a canyon deep scratch running across your new axe.

I would leave it personally..you'll have more to worry about once you start chipping the points on your wings!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  Damn that sucks. What did he screw the rings down with, 3" decking screws?!?
                  Yeah, he maybe went to a #4 from a #3 screw? Strange. I should have clarified, I agree it's in the finish. It propigated in a weak zone of the wood grain. It could grow longer. Maybe more pinstripes on the guitar? Don't know. But that just is a shame. I always use a little bit of beeswax or soap putting in those screws.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

is it possible that the seller replaced the ring because it was cracked as well due to being smacked pretty good on the corner of the ring? seems odd to be replacing a pickup ring on a mint guitar.
                    Last edited by spider murphy; 07-21-2009, 09:49 AM.

Comment

What are your options? Have you taken the guitar yet?

I'd pass on it if you can because that will kill the value, down from "mint".

I don't know if this might be a warranty repair because the user caused it by replacing pickups, but damn, a finish shouldn't be that easy to mess up. Maybe the underlying wood was weak or something. Every tree is different.

Comment

Working...
                      X