Koa or Korina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koa or Korina?

Hey guys....well I have decided I'm going to order a custom shop soon, and I am not quite sure what body wood I am going to go with. I like to play all kinds of music, but mainly metal, so I definately want something that can produce a good low-end sound with distortion.

I was going to go with mahogany, like most of my previous guitars, but I decided since I am going to be paying a shit-load for this either way, why not go with something more exotic?

So I am deciding between koa and korina I think. Koa I have really no idea about, I have heard korina is similar to mahogany, but I saw on another thread here a while back that korina has many worm holes in it, so I'm not so sure about it

Anyways, between koa and korina, which one would you guys pick? Also want to know how they sound with a maple top if anyone knows.

Thanks guys
    My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Koa

KOA VISUALLY for sure if you are going with natural wood finish. They both sound good for the type of music you are into.

Here's my Koa Trio...obviously NOT C/J's but the wood itself speaks volumes. IMO, one of the most visually unique of all Guitar building woods.

Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

woah those are some sweet geetarzzz dude I do like the look of koa quite a bit, but the definition on jemsite of Korina as "super-mohogany" has got me interested.
      My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

My favorite and main guitar is my Koa Charvel SD-1. It's literally like an appendage to me..much like my pud, both made of soft wood. I bought it new when I fell in love with it in a 1995 Charvel add when Alex Skolnick just joined Savatage. I also have a heavier and brighter SD-III which is Maple over either Mahogany. I don't play that one much at all.

I love the tone of Koa, but the only complaint I have with it is that it is a pretty soft wood that is easy to scuff, nick and scratch..if that means anything to you. It has a very warm tone which sounds great when paired with a Marshall-like amp. But may be a bit dark with amps such as an Uber...especially if the strings are a tad dead.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

hmm aight so 2/2 for koa, that one is looking pretty good now anyone prefer Korina? still wondering how that compares.

Comment

I have never played a guitar with Koa. I have played some Korina guitars. I have one of the early 80's 1958 Re-issue Gibson Flying Vees. The Korina is light in wieght and the sound is amazing. Its got a very low (almost dark) tone, but very "creamy". I can really nail the Gary Moore "Still Got the Blues" type tone straight through a Marshall. I love the Korina. As far as worm holes.....for the price you are going to be paying, I believe Jackson will sort through their woods to find clean pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
              for the price you are going to be paying, I believe Jackson will sort through their woods to find clean pieces.
              Yea I hope so dude, but nothing is ever for sure, just wasn't sure what to think about the worm-hole thing. Thanks for the opinion, Korina sounds good. DAMN, now both sound good haha.

Comment

Working...
              X