Creaking Floyd nut - best fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creaking Floyd nut - best fix?

The locking nut on DKMG creaks when I hit the bar. I pulled the nut, didn't see anything out of place and snugged up the screws, however, the problem is still there? What's the best way to correct this? Any thoughts?
    Your friendly neighborhood import whore :: '08 DK2M, '08 DKMG, '03 KVX10, '94 Dinky Rev.

Does it move?

Is the shelf nice and flat?

When you dive, does it stay sharp and when you pull up, does it stay flat? If so, it's probably actually slipping at the nut.

If it's just moving around and creaking, here's some ideas...

Sometimes the top mount screws will bulge the wood a little around the edges of the screws, making a nice little platform for the nut to rock back and forth on (and creak). You can carefully trim this off with a razor blade (flat on the nut shelf) or a file, but be careful not to gouge up the shelf or otherwise ruin the flat surface.

Also I've seen some of these with little folded sandpaper "shims" and even a piece of lexan, which kind of sucks, buy some nut shims from Allparts or make them yourself from a Coke can.

Also, after you remove & replace the nut and have pushed and pulled on the bar a couple of times, re-torque the nut mounting screws.

Comment

Bleh, finally got around to looking at this.

I pulled the nut and checked the shelf - sure enough, there was some raised material around the screw holes:

I trimmed this flat with a razor blade and reinstalled the nut. Unfortunately, it still creaks. The nut does move and I've made sure the screws were tight. Maybe the nut isn't perfectly flat?
      Your friendly neighborhood import whore :: '08 DK2M, '08 DKMG, '03 KVX10, '94 Dinky Rev.

Comment

Use slivers of wood soaked in glue pushed into the thread (not epoxy, but a good wood glue. This will then allow the screw to bite again.Do not fill the hole up!

Or Fill and re-drill.

I used the sliver method on a washburn to fix the exact same problem. It held fine after that!

Regards

Carl

Comment

The screws not biting doesn't seem to be an issue, as they go in nice and tight...

Looking at my own photo again, it appears that the shelf or the nut is not flat. The dark spot, what appears to be the area of contact, near the lower edge of the shelf doesn't run all the way out to the edge of the board. Guess I'll have to pull the nut again and check them out.
          Last edited by Gank; 07-19-2009, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Put a straight edge on it that will show where its not making contact.Then I would block sand it flat.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
            X