Can a real thin neck,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a real thin neck,

Cause hand problems? ike a wizard or some old original charvels?
    I have seen some players make comments that a wizard is a "tendonitous" neck.
    Last edited by \m/HELLRAISER\m/; 07-12-2009, 12:34 PM.

For me, someone with carpal tunuuel and cubital tunner in both arms, thick necks HURT to play for extended periods of time. To me, the thinner the better. Tho I have heard of thin necks causing some players problems, but not this one.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by \m/HELLRAISER\m/ View Post
      Cause hand problems? ike a wizard or some old original charvels?
      I have seen some players make comments that a wizard is a "tendonitous" neck.
      Don't forget some of the 90's Jap Jacksons (best bang for the buck).
      The two I have are amongst the thinnest necks (fretboard to back of the neck) I have ever played.

I'm an old f*ck, so I tend to offset hours of playing with other neck profiles.
      Never had a problem with carpal, or anything else, been noodling for 30 years.
      I would advise that like any other form of exercise, switch up and cool down appropriately.

Comment

Thinner necks can cause problems, but I guess it depends on the individual. Hamer did a study many years back about thicker necks being more natural for your grip and would give you less fatigue.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Thinner necks can cause problems, but I guess it depends on the individual. Hamer did a study many years back about thicker necks being more natural for your grip and would give you less fatigue.
          Odd you should mention Hamer.
          The Phantom A5 is the guitar that I play the most that has what I would call a "thick" neck.

The mini bich is in between, and it truly gets the most playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
            Don't forget some of the 90's Jap Jacksons (best bang for the buck).
            The two I have are amongst the thinnest necks (fretboard to back of the neck) I have ever played.
            yea i agree those jacksons! My main squeeze is a 90's MIJ and the neck is equal to a super wizard which is a SICK 17mm at the 1st fret and 19mm at the 12th fret! And to top things off it has a non compound radius of 16" !

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
              For me, someone with carpal tunuuel and cubital tunner in both arms, thick necks HURT to play for extended periods of time. To me, the thinner the better. Tho I have heard of thin necks causing some players problems, but not this one.
              im the exact opposite. but its more the overall feel. my soloist has a very thin neck but its wide 1 3/4 nut, no problems, ive got a few BCRichs with 1 9/16 nuts but rounded profiles, no problems. gibby slim taper, couldnt play for more than 20 minutes without pain, same thing with my jacko bolton 1 5/8 nut very thin profile.

Comment

I prefer "medium." I think a Soloist fits that category pretty well, they feel great to me.

I have had a thick neck (Gibson) and it's great for chords but sucked for playing lead.

I've also had some really thin necks (shaved-down Kramer for one) and though they felt really good off the bat there's definitely something to the idea that thinner necks take more relative effort and tire you out, because you have less gripping strength the closer together your fingers are.

I guess if I didn't play much rhythm or barre chords and was exclusively doing that meedly-meedly-mee stuff all over the fretboard and I could crush diamonds into coal with my left hand I would like a Wizard.

Comment

I

I have an Ibbie RG760 with an original Wizard neck, and I feel the most comfortable playing on it...more than my Jackson Professional Reverse (probably the thinnest Jackson neck) and my XL. Plus I love the flat radius. I never fatigue or cramp on that neck.

I guess this would be a good time to pic whore:

YMMV
                  Last edited by mustaine-who?; 07-15-2009, 11:35 AM.

Comment

I traded a USA Fusion for another Soloist last summer because I could never get used to the skinny "speed" neck. It had been previously owned by two successive forum members here and they unloaded it for the exact same reason. The Soloist and DK2M necks feel perfect for me. This is actually the reason I don't own a Warrior. I keep hearing that it has the thinner neck.

I also have a theory (someone go notify the Nobel committee).... I've always suspected that thicker necks give you more sustain. Someone will probably dispute me on this and that's fine, but psychologically, it just feels that way to me.
                    Last edited by PowerTube; 07-15-2009, 01:17 PM.
                    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I had an Ibanez S470 for a while. My wrist would always hurt after playing it for any extended period of time. I can play my Jacksons forever and not come away in pain. So there's some truth the theory that thin necks cause more fatigue.
                      Scott

Comment

One thing that I wonder, is how 7 string Speed profile compares to the standard SL1 nad soforth profile? The SL1 neck feels orgasmic, but I assume a speed 7 string profile neck would feel less wide. Anyone with any info on this?
                        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                          I've always suspected that thicker necks give you more sustain. Someone will probably dispute me on this and that's fine, but psychologically, it just feels that way to me.
                          IMO thicker necks DO produce more sustain and a thicker tone.

Comment

I used to like thin necks like on my Jackson Stealth.

When I started talking to Neal Moser about his guitars and neck profiles he kept trying to sell me on a fat neck. The necks on his personal guitars are like telephone poles. I played a few of his at a jam, and man it was weird. He said it's more natural for the hand and that a thin neck will make your hand cramp.

Then I got some BCRs. My Warlock has a thicker neck. At first, I hated it. Now it's my favorite neck.

Then I started playing my Jackson again and realized that my hand always did get tired and a bit cramped when I played it too long.

My Moser 10 guitar has a fairly thick neck. It's very comfortable but I think I would have preferred a slightly narrower nut and more taper to the neck from nut to body joint.

I can't play those Wizard necks...they do make my hand hurt.

So for some people, yes, a thin neck might make your hand hurt. I like the PRS Wide/Fat neck and the neck on the Schecter Hellraisers.

I still love my Jackson because the guitar just has a great feel to it.

Comment

My opinion is very biased since the best guitar i ever played and owned is my 81 charvel san dimas strat which has a very thin/wide neck. Shames the wizard!
                              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                              X