3 peice vs scarf joint neck-thrus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 peice vs scarf joint neck-thrus

I've been looking at a few guitars lately, all Jacksons, and some have 3 peice neck thrus while others have scarf-joint neck thrus. I have had guitars with each kind, but in the end I really have no clue how it affects the instrument.

I prefer the look of a 3-peice, and I'm pretty sure it's a more expensive option, but:

Does 3-peice really actually affect the performance of the instrument in any way? Will a 3-peice neck take more abuse than a scarf-joint (theoretically )?

Also, which one do you guys prefer?

Thanks
    My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Makes no difference to me.Tone difference maybe but I can't tell.
    Structurally 3 piece may be a little stronger.Only had 1 guitar with a scarf joint let loose and it was in the case when it did it.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I was under the impression that all scarf-jointed neckthroughs are 3-piece - head, neck, neck-body tenon.

Or are you talking about 3 laminated pieces going from bass to treble side?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

As a general rule, 3 piece laminated necks are definitely stronger and more stable. That's not to say scarf joints aren't stable, of course. They are - it's like the difference between "very good" and "excellent", if you will.

As to tone and sustain, people will argue about it all day long. In the end, it's just subjective opinion. I will say that IMHO, a 3 piece neck will sustain longer.

Comment

Yes I meant the 3 peice laminated necks that go through the whole body, sorry I didn't clarify that before. Thanks for the input. I think I will stick to 3-peice (like my favorite current guitar) when I order a custom shop in the near future.
          My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

I have a pair of old ESPees that are three piece. While technically this sounds like a better way to build, my scarf necked Jacksons sound just as good, as do my one piece Gibsons.

It's really impossible to tell which is better. Three piece seems like it would be better, but maybe the scarf with the mostly one piece neck makes it sound very slightly better?

I'll agree three piece is the most solid. I have a three piece maple necked LP from 77 and the truss rod has never been touched since the day it left the factory.

Comment

The neck on my ESP, which is 3-peice, is my favorite among the guitars I own at the moment. I was looking at a guitar for sale that had a scarf, but now since I have decided to pass on that guitar and am probably going to order my own custom, I might as well get a 3-peice or maybe even 7-peice (those are definately for looks, but they DO look hot haha)

Comment

It's mainly a stability issue not a strength one between single and 3 piece. The scarf joint is to make sure the angled head stock is using long grain instead of short grain which would snap off a lot easier. This is why head stocks that aren't angled such as fender style typically don't have a scarf joint. Cheaper single piece necks will be one piece flat sawn usually face up but better single piece necks will be quarter sawn face up. They are both equally strong assuming the same wood but the quarter sawn will be more dimensionally stable. Quarter sawn wood is in shorter supply and more expensive because how you have to cut it reduces the max size of the planks you can get from the log.

If you see a 3 piece quarter sawn with a scarf joint it was probably done with thinner planks face up and to both strengthen the angled head stock and make a functionally thicker plank a longer plank is used and the end is cut off and used for the headstock. This is also how flat sawn three piece necks are made which is a great way to make a more stable neck out of cheaper wood. The other way to do it is use thicker planks edge up with the grains not aligned so there is significant strength for the angled head stock. Thicker quarter sawn is more expensive then wider in the sizes for a guitar neck. Modern glues are actually stronger then the wood - but only when the joinery is done correctly. So what all these means is when everything is done correctly it's an issue of wood stability not strength. That being said when I'm dropping serious dollars for an instrument the neck should be 3 piece quarter sawn.

Quarter sawn has a lower yield per log and takes more effort which makes it more expensive which is why it's in shorter supply. If you buy the log they will usually cut it however you want because the charge is per cut but if you are only getting some of it and don't know the sawyer they won't always do it. That's why it's always good to get friendly with the sawyer so you get first choice of the logs and cuts. It doesn't hurt to take your own logs and give him a portion of it. Around here if you give him half the log he will cut it anyway you want and dry it in his kiln in exchange.

Umm, little bit of topic creep there, sorry about the rambling.

Comment

That was quite educating, sir! Nice read

I've a question though. Jackson offers a: 3 piece neck (no scarf joint) and a multi laminate in their custom shop. Which one is which, as in they both seem to describe the same thing to a rookie (me) .
                  Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                  Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

I'm not sure what the difference is between the custom shop 3 piece and multi laminate. Technically a 3 piece is a laminate. What they might mean is a 5 or 7 piece which has thin colored strips between the normal 3 piece sections. This is usually for looks only and is common on basses. If they are thick enough they can add stability but are usually very thin. That's just a guess as to what they mean though.

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
                      I'm not sure what the difference is between the custom shop 3 piece and multi laminate. Technically a 3 piece is a laminate. What they might mean is a 5 or 7 piece which has thin colored strips between the normal 3 piece sections. This is usually for looks only and is common on basses. If they are thick enough they can add stability but are usually very thin. That's just a guess as to what they mean though.
                      That's exactly what I thought. Sucks that it's a little vague on the CS form. Thanks for the input.
                      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Working...
                      X