Detune to Eb to Set Intonation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detune to Eb to Set Intonation?

I've got a DK2M that I finally got setup exactly the way I want it . . . except for the intonation. I've got the bridge floating. Right now it's got three springs on it. Eventually, I want to get a fourth and a Floyd Rose trem stop to make string changes, blocking, etc. easier. For now I don't have that but I still want to get my intonation right. Whilst watching my Dokken DVD tonight (don't mock, Lynch is my hero) I had an idea. If I blocked the bridge temporarily and detuned to Eb, the slightly less string tension should cause the springs to keep whatever I block it with in place. When it's intonated, retune to standard and let 'er rip! Am I correct in assuming that if I intonate it in Eb that it will be intonated at standard tuning as well? Or will it at least be close enough, given the fact that I don't have a strobe tuner to get ultra-precise with anyway?

In order for intonation to be "right", you need to intonate the guitar at the tuning/pitch you intend to play it at. Whether or not you will hear the difference depends on your ear. I know I would hear but my ears are pretty sensitive.

Comment

Even when a trem is blocked, you still want it to be fairly level and not hunched over like that. I vote that a guitar should be set up for E or Eb and left alone.

Comment

I still want a tremol-no.
        |My CSG gallery|
        (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
          I still want a tremol-no.
          ??? Then why don't you buy one? It's not like they're hard to come by or expensive.

Comment

If u tune to A440 then ALL ADJUSTMENTS including neck straightness,action height,intonation must be done at that tuning.
            Last edited by \m/HELLRAISER\m/; 07-12-2009, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Even when a trem is blocked, you still want it to be fairly level and not hunched over like that. I vote that a guitar should be set up for E or Eb and left alone.
              Well, right. I'd block it in such a way that it would remain in the same parallel-to-the-body position that it is now. Detuning would actually make it easier. That's why I asked.

Comment

Blocking the trem will hip with the tension changing. How ever you need to loosen the strings to each saddle or the saddle will slide forward losing its original position. I did an intonation on an 08 prestige yesterday and it had the new Edge Pro trem on it. It has a tool screwed into the base of the trem that does the intonation for ya while still under tuning tension. It was pretty cool and worked great. All ya had to do was unscrew the tool from the base of the trem and screw it into the saddle you want to intonate. then loosen the saddle screw and turn the tool (thumb screw) to adjust the saddle. I love the OFR but that was a nice added feature to the edge trem. floyd shoudl design some thing like that for the OFR. And yes i know there is a tool at stew man that does that.:P
                Gil

Comment

FWIW, I just ended up adjusting the intonation as-is. It wasn't as hard to do as I thought it would be, even without blocking the Floyd. It's now as close as I can get it without a strobe tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by marnold View Post
                    FWIW, I just ended up adjusting the intonation as-is. It wasn't as hard to do as I thought it would be, even without blocking the Floyd. It's now as close as I can get it without a strobe tuner.
                    How off was it? That sounds like a lot.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

The crazy thing is that the low E, D, and B were right on. The high E was slightly flat. The A and G were in the neighborhood of 20 cents off. The G string is wonky enough to tune so it sounds right as it is, much less having the intonation off. The thing is that the 12th harmonic was spot on for all the strings but the fretted note was off.

Comment

Working...
                      X