Usa prodution questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usa prodution questions

I was wondering a few things about these guitars...
    1. The san dimas neck shape what is that? Never played a original charvel so i have no clue to what this neck profile feels like?
    2. How is the overall build of these?

The neck shape is not, from what I've heard, like an original Charvel. I haven't played a "real" San Dimas Charvel, either, but as far as the Pro models are concerned, it's a comfortably thick neck which isn't overly thick.

What I mean to say is that if you're expecting some tendonitis-inducing "yardstick with frets on it" thing like an Ibanez Wizard, you're gonna be disappointed, and if you'd like something a little thinner than the average Strat you'll be happy.

Overall build is good. I've seen some bad ones and I've seen some good ones. If you are really picky, here's some things I've seen, to watch out for:

1. Neck pocket could be sloppy
    2. Tremolo studs not straight (lean forward toward the neck slightly)
    3. Floyd nut not mounted exactly at the end of the fingerboard (slight gap)
    4. Body seams evident through paint
    5. "Orange peel" (ripples) in paint
    6. Poorly buffed/scratched paint

Most of this is just cosmetic shit you might not care about anyway. As far as playing-wise I did manage to get one with a crap fretboard which was remedied by a fret level and dress, and it plays killer now. This is something a competent guitar tech would do for say $125 or so.

Comment

Most of this is just cosmetic shit you might not care about anyway. As far as playing-wise I did manage to get one with a crap fretboard which was remedied by a fret level and dress, and it plays killer now. This is something a competent guitar tech would do for say $125 or so.
      $58 for a fret special at my tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        $58 for a fret special at my tech.
        I actually did mine myself, for $300 worth of tools.

Yeah, my luthier charges $60 for a "deluxe fret dress" only but guessing he might need a setup, too, I'd expect to pay around $100 for "all that."

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm paying $1000+ for a guitar, regardless of where it's made, I expect the frets to be level.

MAJNH: Was it unlevel enough to cause problems or just preventing a super low action?

P.s. - your name is too long!
          Scott

Comment

Thanks for the info.
            So the neck shape is kind of like the late 80's MIJ model 1?

Comment

Originally posted by \m/HELLRAISER\m/ View Post
              Thanks for the info.

FYI, the shape of the neck is the same as what we do in the Charvel Custom Shop. We used what we all internally recognized as "the golden sample".

The feel will be slightly different from one to another as there is still handwork that goes into the final shape. More in the custom shop than on production of course...

I would say, go play these guitars. There is no argument once you have this neck in your hands.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                Maybe it's just me, but if I'm paying $1000+ for a guitar, regardless of where it's made, I expect the frets to be level.

MAJNH: Was it unlevel enough to cause problems or just preventing a super low action?

P.s. - your name is too long!
                Yeah. My name IS too long.

It was way the hell off, and only in the 14th - 18th frets on the high E & B strings. Adjusting the action high enough to get it to ring correctly in that area and not fret out on a step-and-a-half bend, the action was a joke, my Strat has lower action... and that's a Strat with a 9.75" straight radius.

My other Production model had kind of a crappy finish but it plays killer.

Comment

Yeah, my luthier charges $60 for a "deluxe fret dress" only but guessing he might need a setup, too, I'd expect to pay around $100 for "all that."
                  my $58 includes that.
                  We used what we all internally recognized as "the golden sample".
                  That's the perfect way to describe these necks.
                  they just need a little more sanding.
                  not really, more c shaped.
                  Last edited by Rich#6; 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM.

Comment

my $58 includes that.
                    That's awfully cheap for good work.

Comment

Nothing like the Model series necks at all, IMO.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Bionic View Post
                        I would say, go play these guitars. There is no argument once you have this neck in your hands.

Mike
                        Ain't 'dat da trudt'!

Seriously, my San Dimas 1 neck is just too hard to let go of. I stay up waaaaaaaaay past my bedtime each night because I don't want to stop playing this guitar.
                        Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

more c shaped.
                          like a demartini?

Comment

If you grab a hold of a 2008-09 American Standard strat, the shape and feel is similar but the Charvel is markedly thinner. Compared to the Jackson DK2M which seems flatter it is a nice thin C shape. Very comfy.

Comment

Originally posted by MonteChristo View Post
                              If you grab a hold of a 2008-09 American Standard strat, the shape and feel is similar but the Charvel is markedly thinner. Compared to the Jackson DK2M which seems flatter it is a nice thin C shape. Very comfy.
                              Yeah, I had a DK2M a couple years back, and I never adjusted to the wide, flat neck on it. My San Dimas fits me like a glove!

Somebody on another forum asked about whether the members prefered all their guitars to have similar necks. For me, they don't have to be similar, but now all of mine are within a range that I am comfortable with. That Jackson DK2M was outside my range. Too bad, because it sounded really good after a pickup swap, and (red) it was a real looker too.
                              Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Working...
                              X