Headstock cracks....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstock cracks....?

Hey guys- That San Dimas Rhoads showed up. Little beat up on the finish, but what bothered me was this--- The one in the middle seems to re-appear down the neck around the 5th fret. Look like just finish to you? Seems awful strange way to crack.

All at the tuners. Thoughts?

The original auction photos didn't look like this- Asked the seller if they were there previously or if it happened in ship (if they've been like that for years, no worries I suppose- if they're new, who knows what's going on down there). No response after a week, but he could be on vaca so gets the benefit of the doubt.

i guessing its were it is glued together???

Comment

it's definitely glue seams. verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry common on the old ones.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
        it's definitely glue seams. verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry common on the old ones.

sully
        Could that be lightly refinished over?
        Or would they just show through again?

Comment

Depending on what's used, it could be done, but you'd most likely see it later. You can see seams on new ones, too, it's just not as evident. But I tell ya, that's one thing i love about the old ones. I like those seams and stuff.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            Depending on what's used, it could be done, but you'd most likely see it later. You can see seams on new ones, too, it's just not as evident. But I tell ya, that's one thing i love about the old ones. I like those seams and stuff.
            +1... most all the ones I see in the shop have those same lines.. I'd much rather see them than one chunk of wood that can twist and warp. Almost all my old Kramers have those lines where the finish has literally sank. It's character..

Comment

Thanks guys- I just didn't want it to be indicative of an actual structural problem with the neck. She's bruised & battered, but she sounds fantastic, and that's all that matters

Really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
              X