"Slicking" a painted neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Slicking" a painted neck?

So what do you guys use, if anything, to slick the back of a painted neck on a Soloist? I noriced after getting the DK2M on Friday that I play better on the unpainted neck. This is because the Soloist painted necks are currently a little grippy.

Also, have any of you every actually sanded the paint off of a painted neck? I'm starting to get some scary ideas here.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Clean it. Grimy necks are sticky necks. I just got a Soloist so I'm getting used to the paint. I hated it until I gave my guitar a thorough cleaning and now it's just as slick as my DK2.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
      Clean it. Grimy necks are sticky necks. I just got a Soloist so I'm getting used to the paint. I hated it until I gave my guitar a thorough cleaning and now it's just as slick as my DK2.
      +1. Guitar polish is your friend.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

If you get it cleaned up nice & still think it's sticky, some folks use fine steel wool to create a more satin, less glossy surface on painted necks. It can be buffed back to gloss later, for resale or whatever, as long as you are conservative when you do it. There are quite a few threads in here about doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            If you get it cleaned up nice & still think it's sticky, some folks use fine steel wool to create a more satin, less glossy surface on painted necks. It can be buffed back to gloss later, for resale or whatever, as long as you are conservative when you do it. There are quite a few threads in here about doing it.
            This is true. Or you can use Scotch-Brite pads.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah i have noticed SORT OF the same thing with my explorer. But the difference is that my painted neck has little bumps that I think somehow came from sweaty hands. They make the neck rough, but also sticky if that makes sense. So cleaning doesnt work for me. My theory is the acid on my hands ate through the lacquer just a little in places, so it feels ridgy.
              I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

I actually use Fast Fret on my strings and the back of the neck. It's slipperylicious, just make sure to wipe the neck down with the cloth afterward or it gets a little sloppy.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...HSA87/513.0%20
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Eh

Nah...forget all that.

Michael Schenker used a little baby powder...lightning quick.

Try it.
                  Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                    Yeah i have noticed SORT OF the same thing with my explorer. But the difference is that my painted neck has little bumps that I think somehow came from sweaty hands. They make the neck rough, but also sticky if that makes sense. So cleaning doesnt work for me. My theory is the acid on my hands ate through the lacquer just a little in places, so it feels ridgy.
                    Acid... WTF?:think:
                    Gibson SG Standard
                    Jackson DK2M Dinky
                    Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                    Roland Micro Cube
                    Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Acid from sweat, which happens when you play for an extended amount of time. I used to get that on my Les Paul when I used it live. The neck clearcoat would get warm, then tacky.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

WD-40. Works like a charm!
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the DK2M's neck clear-coated? So shouldn't it be (theoretically) identical to a painted neck?
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                            Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the DK2M's neck clear-coated? So shouldn't it be (theoretically) identical to a painted neck?
                            Mine is clear coated. 0000 steel wool will make any finished neck very slick. Use a straight line motion with the grain with minimal pressure to remove the "sticky" feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                              It should. I can't notice a difference between a glossy clear neck, and a glossy painted neck. I think that as far as factory finish goes, it's a competition between glossy, satin and tung oil finishes.
                              I personally think that it's just a matter of keeping the neck clean to make it less grippy, and either satinizing or making it more slippery if you want an added effect to what comes from the factory.

Bengal, you sure WD40 is safe for the clear? Sounds like a very interesting idea, cuz I've got a brand spankin new 300ml can of the stuff, and been sprayin that shit everywhere I could, so naturally, I find it very hard to resist the temptation. Ya sure poly finishes don't react to WD40? Just askin, cuz it sounds like a pretty sweet idea.
                              Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Working...
                              X