Looking for a high gain neck pup ideas to mach X2N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a high gain neck pup ideas to mach X2N

I'm looking for something with a lot of balls in the neck. However, I've a few concerns regarding this. The guitar in question is a solid finish 750XL, which does seem to be basswood. Strings are 12s in Eb. I'm looking into either the Super 3, Tone Zone, Super Distortion or a D Activator-X (Either neck or bridge).

First off, I'm looking into an X2N in the bridge. Not here yet, so only 'looking into'. They're fairly top-endy as far as I know. I was thinking of a pup with over the top low end, which would also be a really hot pickup. One question is if I run the thing in combination with the bridge pickup, will the two running simultaniously produce a pleasant sounding tone? Not looking into anything 'pretty' or 'glassy', but I don't want an uncompehensible mess coming out of my amp. I play almost all of my rhythm with the inner coils, and most leads with the inner coils as well, while often switching to bridge on its own. So when I will combine the two pickups, either outer or inner coils, or both together wired in series, will the sound become nasty due to the neck being so concentrated in the bass range, and bridge in the treble?

Also, with which would you guys go, the Super 3, the Tone Zone, the Super Distortion or either of D Activator-Xs? I'm looking into some pronounced low end with high output, and am not worried about mud.

Thanks in advance!

**EDIT**
    Shite, completely wrong section. Was intended to be posted at the Tech Q and A. Sincere apologies.
    Last edited by Dred; 07-05-2009, 04:03 PM.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Tone zone has a really strong low end.

Comment

X2N is NOT that high endy listen to S.Vai Flexible it was done with that pickup. Super D would be a good neck with a X2N.

Comment

tone zone is a high power low end pickup...

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
          X2N is NOT that high endy listen to S.Vai Flexible it was done with that pickup. Super D would be a good neck with a X2N.
          Correct. It's got highs and mids, but it's pretty well balanced. A Super Distortion, Super 2 or Super 3 would work well in the neck with it. I personally love the X2N/Super 2 combo. Mike Romeo pairs his X2N up with a Tone Zone.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Correction high output pickup
            "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
            Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

evolution neck

Comment

Working...
              X