Truss Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss Rod

Just wondering how the hell you're meant to get an allen key between the neck pickup & the neck to adjust the truss rod? Any tips?
    Gear:
    Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 2H Cherry Red
    Randall RG50TC
    Stagg Acoustic Bass

take the neck off is the only way and it's a screwdriver not an allen key.

Comment

Before I do, what's the best way? I've never taken a neck off before, always had guitars with the truss rod adjustment at the headstock.
      Gear:
      Randall RG50TC
      Stagg Acoustic Bass

Comment

Loosen strings till they are very slack, remove four screws evenly, pull the neck straight up out of the pocket.

When placing the neck back on, drop it straight (carefully) down so it's exactly in place. Do not "slide" it into the pocket, you could crack/chip the clear this way. Tighten four screws evenly until snug (if not sure, pay attention when loosening the screws how snug they are and replicate).

Comment

1. Pop the trem springs off without loosening the strings.
          2. Unscrew neck and remove.
          3. Make minor adjustment to neck.
          4. Put neck on.
          5. Remount trem and springs.
          6. Retune if needed.
          7. Check neck to see if it needs more work.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips, & I'll be sure to buy a super high quality handbag to keep my bits & peices in
            Gear:
            Randall RG50TC
            Stagg Acoustic Bass

Comment

I've already reported that post once. Admins must be trying to enjoy the weekend
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've adjusted it to about as tight as it goes & the action is much better, but the action at the nut is still much lower than the heel. Any tips?
                Gear:
                Randall RG50TC
                Stagg Acoustic Bass

Comment

Originally posted by Jovu View Post
                  I've adjusted it to about as tight as it goes & the action is much better, but the action at the nut is still much lower than the heel. Any tips?
                  If you tightened it wouldn't that mean you'd put a lot of relief in the neck which would effectively "raise" the action in the middle of the neck?

Maybe you need to lower the bridge now that you've tightened the truss rod, adding relief.

What kind of setup are you shooting for? Super low? other?
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
                    If you tightened it wouldn't that mean you'd put a lot of relief in the neck which would effectively "raise" the action in the middle of the neck?
                    Tightening would bring the strings closer to the neck and lower the action.

If the action is too low at the nut, you'll need to put a piece of business card or paper under the nut to shim it up.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Adjusting the truss rod is not for adjusting string height. While adjusting the Trod will have the effect of raising or lowering the strings. It is a by product of the Trods action. The Trod is for adjusting the relief (curvature or bow) of the fingerboard. This adjustment is largely personal preference. Some play with a very flat fingerboard and some like a bit more relief. An acoustic will have more relief than an electric, typically.

On your electric the lowest possible string height will be for the largest part a function of the geometry between the nut, the bridge and the neck to body joint. Picture a side view of this as a triangle. To a lesser degree, but perhaps more important when trying to wring out that final 64th of an inch, is the neck relief and the fret work.

Assuming the fret work is good and the afore mentioned three point geomety is good, the proper neck relief (proper having a lot to do with your playing style) will be the final piece of the puzzle. As I said before this will effect string height but only slightly.

A truley detailed explaination of the hows and why's is a bit beyond the energy level I want to put into this post but let me say two things;

1. All guitar set up is a compromise between multiple adjustments. Examples are how string height adjustment effects intonation or how a change in string guage effects that delicate balancing act we call the floyd rose. Look at all guitar adjustments from this point of view and you'll be miles ahead.

2.There is a great article by master repairman Frank Ford on Truss rod adjustment here http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

It is specific to acoustic guitars but the principles are all the same. If your'e going to be a do it yourselfer (we should all be) then you owe it to yourself to read a few articles by the masters that have come before us.

To that end have a look at this article http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/inst...oussetups.html to see how many of the stars set up their guitars. There is some cool info here including measurements on action and relief.

Good luck
                      Last edited by MonteChristo; 07-07-2009, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X