Be honest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be honest.

For owners of the new production models how does it compare to other guitars you own?

I'm asking because I am really tempted to get one but I'm worried that it may be kind of redundant. Also I'd have to purchase withotu playing as my nearest dealer is really really far away.

I have more than one Fender HM. I have a Vigier...two model 6s, a 750XL. I'm thinking these guitars are or were pretty high end and can do probably everything the Charvel can.

(Yeah, actually trying to logically work myself out of GAS...)

So guys, how does your production model rank against other guitars you own?

Also how similar (or not) is it to other guitars you know? Like an old import charvel? a US strat? some kind of Jackson?

Thanks!
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

They can't touch my WarAngel for playability, but that's to be expected when comparing a Custom Shop to a production model.

I actually play my Charvels now more than my NASLs, and if you've ever seen how I gushed about my NASLs in the past, you know what kinda weight that carries.

Unfortunately, I don't have any USA models that are not Custom Shops to compare them to (funny how it came out that way ), so all I've got are the 2 Customs and various imports (with the NASLs being USA-quality IMO, given their market-exclusion).

I've got 6 - 4 SoCals and 2 Style 1s - and despite the troubles some folks have had, I haven't had a bad one yet and do not expect to.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

No, they're not CS level, but they are much, much better than your typical run of the mill guitar at their price point. My SD1 is right up there in quality with my Music Man Axis ( I love my axis). Now I've never played a Vigier, but I've heard they're awesome. I'm not sure how the USA pros compare. As far as comparability with imports- it destroys them like a nuclear blast. AS far as tones go, I could have stopped getting guitars after I had a tele, charvel and LP. I just can't resist the usa pros- they're too good! I'm getting a red socal in a week.

Comment

I love my new production Charvel its a bare bones utility guitar IMO.
        Fit and finish is top notch.Great tone with the JB and 59 I will never change anything on this guitar its that good.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I won't help you get rid of your gas. if you got the cash get one.

Comment

I have one Fender Strat, and three Gibsons in addition to my San Dimas 1. The fair comparison would be to the Fender, and the Charvel is a better guitar, no question.

However, I've owned more than my share of super-Strat guitars since 1984. I've owned Kramers, Ibanez and Jackson guitars from the 80s and early 90s. I can say without hesitation that my 2009 San Dimas 1 is better than any of those ever were. The neck, the body balance, the sound, the performance of the Floyd - everything about it receives top marks.
            Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

i have a demartini charvel , and my SD1 is pretty close to it in terms of quality and playability, they are good guitars for the money .

Comment

I am not going to cure your GAS either. Pull the trigger and don't look back.
                In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I've got an '89 HM Strat as well as a '99 American Standard Strat. The ProMod SoCal is like the perfect blend of the two, IMO. The neck isn't quite as 'fast' as the HM, but is 'faster' than the MIA Strat. The Floyd on the SoCal keeps noticeably better tuning than the Spyder, and is worlds ahead vs. the LSR nut, locking Schallers tuners, and Wilkinson VS100 I have on the Strat.

I've also got a mid-90's ESP M-II Deluxe and an '89 Ibanez RG570. Both are better shredders in some ways, but I can cover a lot more ground with the SoCal.

Could I live without the SoCal? Sure, I have done so for quite some time. Now that I have it, those other guitars don't get played nearly as much. I put an H-S-S pickguard on it, and now I can cover everything from blues to metal on the same guitar. Since it's not anything 'special' like an old Charvel or a new custom built, I'm not leery of modding it to however I see fit. I used to use the Strat (converted to H-S-S) to cover all of those bases, but had to compromise the tuning stability. Now with the SoCal, it has easily become my #1.

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                    For owners of the new production models how does it compare to other guitars you own?

I have more than one Fender HM. I have a Vigier...two model 6s, a 750XL. I'm thinking these guitars are or were pretty high end and can do probably everything the Charvel can.
                    You need to buy one!

Can see from above you're a Charvel fan, just bite the bullet. I was the same, have a Model 4 and was struggling to justify it, but had always lusted after a US Charvel.

They are excellent IMHO - all my other guitars (inc Gibson LP and V) have rarely been out of their cases since the SoCal arrived, it's just so versatile and workman-like, take it to band practice every time, and play it 50% at most gigs.

I see you're in the UK like me, prices have gone up but, this shop was the cheapest mail-order when I got mine, and the guitar arrived well packed and setup:
                    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electr...ndname=Charvel

Comment

Get one.
                      Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by darrellm View Post
                        I see you're in the UK like me, prices have gone up but, this shop was the cheapest mail-order when I got mine, and the guitar arrived well packed and setup:
                        http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electr...ndname=Charvel
                        I got mine from guitarguitar too - for just over £700 before the prices went up. I can also recommend them as a mail order supplier.

Note that they've got one polar white SD1 left. Hurry up if you like that colour, although taxicab yellow SD1s; and candy purple, red and pagan gold socals are in stock too.

You could also try rich tone music who post messages on here sometimes:
                        http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guita...1438ee8e30beb8

Comment

I have Charvel custom shops guitars, my two production models are *really* close in terms of playability and tone. Considering a street price of less than a grand, you cannot go wrong in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                            I have Charvel custom shops guitars, my two production models are *really* close in terms of playability and tone. Considering a street price of less than a grand, you cannot go wrong in my opinion.
                            I couldn't agree more. They are great guitars for the money.

Comment

I own and have played many superstrat guitars over the years, as well as high end Les Pauls. Since I bought my So-Cal, the others don't get played nearly as much. Great guitars for the money IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X