Production-model neck pocket size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production-model neck pocket size

Interesting find I thought I would share...

Recently I bought a Custom Shop Charvel, and while I had it taken apart so I could "ruin" it (changed direct-mount pickups to mounting rings, install EMG 81N/85B) the neck is just sitting there looking all pretty...

I had a white Production Model with a horribly sloppy neck pocket, which I posted pics of a while back. I bought a Candy Blue SD1 body to replace the misrouted one and that's all put together and plays and sounds great.

The white body is just sitting there, so I decide to see what the CS neck would look like on it.

It doesn't fit. It's too big! We're talking, I would not even take a chance at trying to mash it into the pocket for fear of damaging it.

This morning I took some measurements. My white Production Model neck pocket, even after shaving the top side of the neck pocket to straighten the route out, is just shy of 2.25 and the CS neck is about 2.25, and the Production Model neck is... 2 & 3/16.

Maybe this is old news to some, but the Production Models seem to have a "standard" Fender-spec neck pocket instead of the oversize Charvel pocket.

Anyway, now I'm thinking about buying a Musikraft neck for the white cast-off body (2.25") because it actually needs just a little more trimming to fit nice on a "regular" Charvel neck heel. The only question is, if I have them drill the neck mounting holes... will it line up? I'm going to email them to find out if the bolt pattern and placement differs from Fender to Charvel or if it's just the heel size.

Well, not according to this... http://www.charvel.com/pdf/SD%20Style%201rev2.pdf

But, hey, who knows? I haven't actually measured mine.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I put a model 4 neck on my slime green s1 and it fit nicely. I didnt have to force it in or anything, it fit nice and snug.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        Well, not according to this... http://www.charvel.com/pdf/SD%20Style%201rev2.pdf

But, hey, who knows? I haven't actually measured mine.
        Thanks, I knew I'd seen it spec'd as 2 1/4" somewhere, which is why I found it kinda interesting.

But yeah, it measures more like 2.2 (just a little over 2 3/16 to be honest, but the CS neck is 2.27) and I've had this neck on both of my Production guitars at one point or another and there's no real difference in fitment between either body/neck, they're easily swappable.

Comment

So basically your saying the Prod is just under 2.25 and the CS is just over 2.25. Yeah, that's going to require some "hand-finishing" to make them fit. Get some sandpaper and have at it - it might just be some paint in the neck pocket that needs to be removed.
          Blank yo!

Comment

I'm not actually wanting to put the CS neck on that body, it is currently back on the CS body where it belongs.

What I'm saying is, I don't believe the Production Model neck is actually 2 1/4". I believe the Production Model is "just over" 2 3/16", but closer to 2 3/16 than it is to 2 1/4.

Remember that the white body has been opened up CONSIDERABLY in the neck pocket, and still measures less than 2.25, and a regular Production Model neck flops around in the neck pocket like... a hotdog in a hallway.

Comment

Not for nothing, I think you got a skunk.
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                Recently I bought a Custom Shop Charvel, and while I had it taken apart so I could "ruin" it (changed direct-mount pickups to mounting rings, install EMG 81N/85B)
                Why would you buy a Custom Shop guitar with direct-mount pickups and then put mouting rings on it?
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  Not for nothing, I think you got a skunk.
                  Oh you mean the white body? Yes, for sure.

There's nothing wrong (now) with the 2 necks I have (one from the white one, one from the black one) though.

Either neck will it either of my Pro models very nicely and once I leveled/crowned & polished the neck from the white one it plays great.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Why would you buy a Custom Shop guitar with direct-mount pickups and then put mouting rings on it?
                    I don't understand the question.

Comment

:think: That's what you said you did, so I just asked why.

Comment

:think: That's what you said you did, so I just asked why.
                        No, what I mean is, I don't understand what information you're asking for, when you ask that question.

I don't like direct-mounted pickups, and I didn't spec the guitar.
                        Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 07-01-2009, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Oh, well that explains it. I thought you spec'd the guitar without them and then decided to put the rings on after the fact. It's all good.

Comment

Oh, well that explains it. I thought you spec'd the guitar without them and then decided to put the rings on after the fact. It's all good.
                            I figured that was probably what you meant.

But it could also have meant "why would you want mounting rings instead of direct mount" which, I've seen you say that you have some direct-mounts and like them, but my pinky keeps sliding into that hole...

Or it could have meant "why would you spend that much money on a guitar and then drill holes in it?" which... Man, I did ask myself that question a few times while I was doing it. Especially when I f'd it up and had to re-do 3 of the holes for the bridge humbucker because the bottom side was forward about 1/16".

Comment

LOL Direct mount or rings are fine either way for me, but I was mainly wondering about drilling for the rings. I would have just kept it direct mount and not bother with the drilling, especially when putting in EMGs.

Comment

Working...
                              X