San Dimas Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas Floyd

Just been wondering if the Floyd in the San Dimas is a genuine original Floyd or a licensed floyd designed like an original? Feels different to the originals I've used in the past.
    Gear:
    Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 2H Cherry Red
    Randall RG50TC
    Stagg Acoustic Bass

Its a Floyd Rose. Its not licensed. Its just made in Korea instead of Germany.

I replaced the black one on my SD1 with a German chrome - honestly - can't tell the difference except the German bar wobbles more.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I noticed the bar comes loose allot easier on the korean one.
      Gear:
      Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 2H Cherry Red
      Randall RG50TC
      Stagg Acoustic Bass

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        Its a Floyd Rose. Its not licensed. Its just made in Korea instead of Germany.

I replaced the black one on my SD1 with a German chrome - honestly - can't tell the difference except the German bar wobbles more.
        Grandturk is correct. Sometimes referred to as a Schaller but it's one in the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Jovu View Post
          I noticed the bar comes loose allot easier on the korean one.
          It's got nothing to do with being Korean. It sometimes just happens. I got two German Original Floyds back in 1995 from Carvin, the arm would be real loose all the time on one of them.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            It's got nothing to do with being Korean. It sometimes just happens. I got two German Original Floyds back in 1995 from Carvin, the arm would be real loose all the time on one of them.
            +1 - the brand new "Das German" one I put on my SD1:

a. loosens easily
            b. bar wobbles a bit even when tight

(yes I know I can just buy a replacement bar and this might be fixed)

The Korean one I had would loosen after a lot of whammy wrangling - and when it was tight - the bar did not wobble at all - it felt directly connected.

But all this is all bullshit - it's manufacturing tolerances. Cheaper means wider tolerances - I may have just gotten a good Korean and a bad German - that's life.
            Blank yo!

Comment

Cheaper doesn't always mean wider tolerances - there's cheaper labor (Germany has a high standard of living comparable to that of the USA, and they charge for it, while Korea uses child labor and have an overall lower standard of living, so they can do it just as well for less money).

These are not hand-made. They're punched out of a coil of steel by machines. Once you set those machines - the dies that punch the shapes, the feeders that shove the coil of steel into the die, etc - they're set. Once they come out of the stamping die they go through a finishing process that smooths the rough edges, then they're heat treated and plated. That's all mechanical. Granted you may have material quality differences and different heat treatment values, as well as different finishing media (ceramic vs other types, as well as duration of finishing treatment), they're pretty much the same piece of metal.

No one has yet proven the Korean-made units are any worse OR any better than the Schallers, so there's no grounds to dismiss them as inferior.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                No one has yet proven the Korean-made units are any worse OR any better than the Schallers, so there's no grounds to dismiss them as inferior.
                My point exactly.
                Blank yo!

Comment

The black finish on my Schaller Floyd (and the other parts) is much nicer than on the Korean version I replaced. If you care about stuff like that, the German finish wins out. The bottom plate on the German Floyd is thinner, yet the German Floyd weighs more than the Korean. That tells me the German steel is better quality.

Is it NECESSARY to replace the Korean Floyd? Nope. I'm glad I replaced mine though.
                  '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                  '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                  '98 PRS Custom 22
                  '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

The black finish on my Schaller Floyd (and the other parts) is much nicer than on the Korean version I replaced. If you care about stuff like that, the German finish wins out. The bottom plate on the German Floyd is thinner, yet the German Floyd weighs more than the Korean. That tells me the German steel is better quality.

Is it NECESSARY to replace the Korean Floyd? Nope. I'm glad I replaced mine though
                    The schaller jt590 I had on a 93 jackson had half the finish worn off. yes not the exact same as an OFR but same factory, so give you german floyds some time for that finish to come off.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post

Is it NECESSARY to replace the Korean Floyd? Nope. I'm glad I replaced mine though.

Neither of those are an indicator of quality. Cosmetic appearance such as the finish is an afterthought - the manufacturer wanted it plated black, and there is no "one and only black" in the universe.

If you're weighing the entire assembly (block, saddles, etc), then the thinner baseplate does not automatically mean better, as you're ignoring the block's contribution. Tons of people swear that aluminum bridges and stopbars make a Les Paul sound better, yet those pieces weigh less than the standard hardware.

Again, the Korean FLoyds may very well turn out to be polished turds - only time will tell. However, ONLY time will tell. It is not for you or me to state with any degree of certainty right now either way, so it is pointless to speculate, other than to place your bets.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I weighed a Korean Floyd and a German Floyd and reported on it in this thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93510

The Korean was heavier.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Again, the Korean FLoyds may very well turn out to be polished turds - only time will tell. However, ONLY time will tell. It is not for you or me to state with any degree of certainty right now either way, so it is pointless to speculate, other than to place your bets.
                          A lot of us have had our ProMods for close to a year. My Floyd for one, is still doing great. Of course, it is still entirely possible that time will cause premature failure, but I think that these Korean Floyds have proved themselves in the eyes of many.

Comment

i dont think mesa would put their name on a Tuberider quality product so if floyd rose is willing to put their name on it then i'm sure its of the same caliber.
                            never heard of Tuberider? trust there is a reason you havent and that reason is its crap. if the korean floyds werent as good theyd be stamped LFR's

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                              i dont think mesa would put their name on a Tuberider quality product so if floyd rose is willing to put their name on it then i'm sure its of the same caliber.
                              never heard of Tuberider? trust there is a reason you havent and that reason is its crap. if the korean floyds werent as good theyd be stamped LFR's
                              ^---- THIS. That is IF I am going to speculate - place any bets. I would be more inclined to guess or wager on the above because it is based on real-world, past examples. I would also expect exceptions to the rule to be duly noted (the ymmv clause). OH! And common sense too. The reality though, has already been stated. Only time will tell.
                              In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X