San Dimas Trem Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas Trem Question

I am seriously thinking about picking up a white san dimas, would I be able to flush mount the trem to the body without causing damage to the finish.

I use a couple of different tunings in the band I am in so will need to change on the fly.

Cheers

The spring plate under the fine tuners might touch the finish if you drop it to the body. I'd put some felt under there, or bend the tips out so they're not touching.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You may also need to rout out your neck pocket to accomodate the lowered bridge.

Comment

Yes - the trem won't flush to the body without routing the neck pocket or shimming the saddles.

I would shim the front of the neck pocket to get rid of the angle and then shim the bridge saddles.

This is probably more trouble than its worth - just block the trem.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I have a SoCal that I put a D-Tuna on and While I didn't put any felt under the bridge I will just to protect the finish. I have it set for a fairly low string height and the base of the trem is parallel to the guitar's top. Everything works as it should, but the very end of the D-tuna is only a couple of mm off the guitar's top. I can see where it could wear/or scratch the top if not careful when moving it in and out.

Comment

I just blocked the trem and adjusted the spring tension so that there was a balance between feel and stabilty.
            I can loose a string and still maintain tuning along with a fairly loose dive feel.

Comment

Blocked mine, too, to 'dive-only.' Left it level, just above the body, same as when it was floating. All you need is a chunk of wood trimmed to size, and some wood glue. i used two pieces of angled shim, for doors/windows. Slid them together to the right thickness, glued them together, cut it down to size.

Comment

Working...
              X