Backplate Won't Come Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backplate Won't Come Off

Just got me a san dimas style 1, taken out the screws on the plate over the back of the trem, & I can't get the damn thing to come off, it seems pretty firmly wedged in there. Any tips?
    Gear:
    Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 2H Cherry Red
    Randall RG50TC
    Stagg Acoustic Bass

All mine are that way. Get the smallest screwdriver you can (one of those precision screwdrivers with the flat tip) and see if you can wedge it in a screw hole or between the edges.

Other than that, you're pretty much screwed.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Knife or razor blade works, too. They put them together when the paint is still soft.

Comment

Precision screw driver worked, thanks! I think what happened was when this guitar was returned by the first owner, the shop repainted the inside of the cavity & didn't quite let it dry properly, as a bit of black paint came off with the plate.
        Gear:
        Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 2H Cherry Red
        Randall RG50TC
        Stagg Acoustic Bass

Comment

Nope, that's factory. A couple of mine did that as well, and I bought them new.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Suction cup.

Comment

A long skinny screwdriver through the trem cavity from the top, and hit the back of the cover, it pops right off.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

you can also use one of the cover scews, stick it in the whole (not down to the wood) and angle it to catch the sidewalls of the cover and pull up.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jovu View Post
                  Precision screw driver worked, thanks! I think what happened was when this guitar was returned by the first owner, the shop repainted the inside of the cavity & didn't quite let it dry properly, as a bit of black paint came off with the plate.
                  All of us have had this happen. I doubt if all of our guitars go sent back and were repainted.

At least it was just a little bit of paint. I didn't loose any paint with my Bengal SL2H, but I was very careful and took my time.

Comment

If a screwdriver doesn't work, try whacking the back of the guitar against a wall or floor - anything hard and flat - that should pop something loose.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

I lay the guitar face up on my lap and vigorously bang it off my knees a few times. That usually helps.
                      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        If a screwdriver doesn't work, try whacking the back of the guitar against a wall or floor - anything hard and flat - that should pop something loose.

Damn you... this is the second thread in a row where it looks like I ripped off or at least was heavily influenced by someone else's response.
                        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                          A long skinny screwdriver through the trem cavity from the top, and hit the back of the cover, it pops right off.
                          I used the long end an allen wrench through the trem opening on the top of the guitar. Just do a dive bomb with the trem and insert it in the openning under where the trem arm attaches.

Comment

I think somebody mentioned using a suction cup. I do that as it is the easiest/cleanest method IMO.

But if you like to make things difficult, have fun banging, beating, clawing, digging, prying, etc. if that is your forte.

Comment

LOL Chad, it was you .

Comment

Working...
                              X