Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAS - SoCal pagan Gold

Hi folks!
    I´ve GAS for a SoCal, but I´m a little bit worried about things I´ve read on the web about theFloyds and untidy fret work.
    Opinions, please?

I haven´t been able to actually try one yet.

Also, which do you like the most, the San Dimas with Duncans or the SoCal with DiMarzios?

The Floyd is great and the fretwork is fine - its not Custom Shop level - which it shouldn't be for $1000.

I have had 0 (zero) issues with my SD1. Sounds great and plays great - the stock Floyd stayed in tune fine. The pickups are to taste - I never really got along with the Duncan 59 in the neck of ANY guitar. Also, I like a crispier bridge pickup - the JB to me is very low middy. Anyway - perfect opportunity for pics:

Stock:

Modded (chrome floyd, gold tuners and knob (relic'd), Dimarzio SD and PAF Pro):
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

No issues with my So Cal at all - awesome guitar for the price, IMHO.

I tried the San Dimas and SoCal but preferred the Di Marzio's, just felt they were a bit brighter, more Strat-like, whereas the SDs were a bit more bassy, more into Gibson territory....and as I already have a Les Paul, I wanted something that sounded quite different.

Personal choice really, you need to try them both - I was originally set on an SD and there was nowhere local to try them here in the UK, fortunately I had a trip to the US and was able to try them out side-by-side, after which I changed my mind.

Comment

Thanks guys. Nice pics by the way. I like duncans but I think the SoCal looks better with its picguard. If I buy one I may throw in JB & Jazz eventually. Everybody seems to love the Tone Zone though.
        I should buy one of each

Comment

For me, a Strat with a Floyd is for Iron Maiden, so the DiMarzio works great for me there

Actually I've not been a fan of DiMarzios through the years - I've tried Evos, SuperDs, and a Super3, but they all sounded like they were being choked.

However, the ToneZone I like. If you crank it up close to the strings it's like a Duncan Distortion with a bit more clarity, but if you lower it a bit you get those classic Duncan JB Thrash tones like on Holy Wars (which to me sound choked and nutless )
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Actually these guitars remind me a bit of the Peavey Wolfgang Special. Y´know the stripped down, basic version of the Wolfgang.
            Great neck on a slab of wood, floyd and good picups. No tone pot.
            I love the Wolfgang.
            Anybody that can compare them?

Comment

Pretty different from a Wolfgang. Wider neck (1 11/16" at the nut vs 1 5/8"), doesn't have the asymmetrical neck backshape, alder body vs. basswood, full-floating trem vs. dive only. One of the EVH Art Series would be much closer on each of these points, but more expensive.

Comment

Peavy? Really? They make guitars?
                Blank yo!

Comment

I own a So-Cal, and it's quickly become my favorite and most used guitar... Knocked all my Gibsons out of the water. It plays great and stays in tune fine. I tested it out with a SD-1 in the store (I had originally considered buying the SD) and liked the So-Cal just a little bit more. Both sounded great, I just preferred the tone on the So-Cal by a narrow margin.

If possible, you should try out both guitars, and see which you like more... Things like "sound" and "tone" preferences are completely subjective. They're both great guitars IMO.

Comment

Thanks people!

Actually, the bridge on the Wolfgang was dive only from the factory.

Would you say that the Duncan set on the SD has a more "warm" sound
                    than the Dimarzios?

Comment

I wouldn't say "warm" as much as I'd say "muffled". The JB doesn't seem to have as much top-end as the ToneZone. Comparing a SoCal directly to the SD1 on the same preamp patch, the SoCal has bite whereas the SD1 doesn't.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I love my Pagan Gold So-Cal! There's no issues with it whatsoever. The neck feels great, fretwork is great and dimarzios sound awesome!

Comment

Great!!
                          I´ll try to find to try one out time tomorrow.
                          I found a store with one in stock .
                          Girlfriend (no guitarfriend ) wants to go and look out some new furniture though. I´ll have tp play this like a russian chess master!:think:
                          How´s the gig-bag?

Comment

Originally posted by nybergh View Post
                            how´s the gig-bag?
                            p.o.s.
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Well, I thought the gigbag was OK for what it is although I think they ought to come with a hardshell case. I bought one of the Musicians Friend tweed cases for mine for only $42 and it fits just fine in that.

Here's ya some pics :O)

Last edited by beachjammer; 06-12-2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X