Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sounds in the Charvel San Dimas Style 1 2H?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds in the Charvel San Dimas Style 1 2H?

Hi, I wonder what sounds I can get a Charvel San Dimas Style 1 2H, which is very good for rock, but can I have a good clean sound for jazz?
    Greetings

I dunno, is the 59N good for Jazz? I would assume so, but then I don't play Jazz.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd say so

Comment

Well, the one jazz guy I hang out with wouldn't touch a solidbody guitar with a 39' pole. YMMV.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          Well, the one jazz guy I hang out with wouldn't touch a solidbody guitar with a 39' pole. YMMV.
          Was he a jazzhole?

Comment

if its not stick a more jazz pick up in it.
            no sig.....

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post

Some folks just have no skill. That's why they play Jazz, so they can play badly and be considered a genius
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Some folks just have no skill. That's why they play Jazz, so they can play badly and be considered a genius
                Wow - if I liked jazz, I'd be offended.

Thankfully, I don't. I think there's something inherently wrong with playing the same songs over and over and over and over. Standards, my ass.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

I'm sure Jazz players would be offended, but playing "out" is not a sign of skill, it's a sign of LACK of skill.

I don't care how Jazz snobs slice it up - you simply DO NOT spend all that time learning to play correctly so you can play incorrectly. It makes no rational sense. "Inside jokes" and such are lost on the listener, all they know is "wow, how'd he miss that note?"

Comment

Newc, you need to enlighten yourself a bit and go out to a jazz festival or two. None of those cats are "missing" any notes, on purpose or not. You may or may not enjoy listening to that style of music, but one thing is for sure - it most certainly is not lacking in skill or musical chops.

Back to the original question - it's all personal preferences. Some folks will think it's fine for jazz (look at Al DiMeola, playing solidbody two-hum PRS's) others will say jazz can only be played on big ol' archtop jazzboxes. The truth is it all depends on the player's personal preference.

Comment

Oh I know there's some great players/groups out there. I picked up a CD a couple of years ago called Smooth Jazz Guitar, and I dig every track on it (including one they used to use on the Weather Channel, and I think This Old House or one of those shows like that).

http://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Jazz-Gu...3449487&sr=1-5

I keep meaning to check out each of those artists' albums, but never seem to get around to it. With a lot of them, where to begin?

If I were to go into Jazz, that CD would be my inspiration/goal.

However, I've got a Joe Pass Christmas CD - 6-String Santa - and I honestly cannot fathom how the man could do that with a straight face, nor how he could be seriously spoken of with such reverence. He musta kicked ass in his early days, but that CD leaves me scratching my head. Surely the guy wasn't THAT old when he did that disc? Certainly he wasn't deaf.

Comparing that to the Les Paul/Chet Atkins "Guitar Monsters" albums, where every note is spot on (on guitar at least, neither of them could sing worth a damn ), aside from Les' "Panic Guitar" (slurred speedy runs that are of no particular scale, maybe Chromatic at best but that's pushing it).

But listening to the old Les/Mary albums before he went to his over-effected sound (and even somewhat after), Les knew where the notes were.

Now, I'm more of a Swing/Big Band fan - Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc etc. I prefer orchestral stuff, but I like what Brian Setzer did with it by adding the guitar as a featured instrument. Kinda weak that he regurgitated his own Stray Cat Strut solo in one track, but then I've thrown in the solo to Freebird at 1/3rd speed on a Blues Jam

I picked up a "Glenn Miller Orchestra" CD way back in 90/91. When I got it home I realized it was his Orchestra and Mel Torme and Manhattan Transfer doing the singing. Mel Torme sucks. Manhattan Transfer were doing the "out" notes.
                      I returned it anf got one that said "newly remastered from the original 1940s recordings". THAT was Glenn Miller.
                      Last edited by Newc; 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Coltrane could sneeze out an ungodly green snot laden sweaty mess out of his nose and it would still sound amazing.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Newc, just when I think you've bottomed out you manage to dig deeper.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I think some jazz players just have more knowledge than they do skill.
                            "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                            Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              Newc, just when I think you've bottomed out you manage to dig deeper.

I have no limits

However, if you wish to offer evidence to dispute my claims, feel free.

Comment

Working...
                              X