Old School Vibe for the New School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School Vibe for the New School

Well, my black SD1 lasted in stock form for nearly 8 months or so, so I consider that a minor victory - but the urge to meddle was too strong, so I give you my modded SD1:

I was aiming for a "modded San Dimas" kind of vibe. Something that came stock with gold and brass hardware and then had a chrome floyd mounted on it. I didn't do any finish relicing or anything (beyond natural wear and tear so far), but I did scuff up the knob and the tuners to cut the "bling" from the new gold hardware (still need to do get a brass or gold jackplate).

The pickups are Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck (the PAF Pro has black pole pieces, which kind of look wonky - this will likely make me change it eventually) - they sound friggin awesome in this thing. The Super Distortion may now be my favorite pickup.

Here's some more pics. Let me know what you think!

Hanging the neck out over 34th St to make the most of the available light

Comment - my apartment looks like a shithole in these pictures - I assure you, I live on Park Ave
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Man that looks fantastic! That is the coolest mod job yet to a SD1.

Comment

Nice SD.. Just curious. do you hang your g/f out the window to get better light too?

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
        Nice SD.. Just curious. do you hang your g/f out the window to get better light too?
        Not for better light.
        Blank yo!

Comment

Very nice Liking the old school look a lot!!

Got to agree on the Super Distortion... It's at the top of my list as a favorite
          Don

Comment

I gotta agree. it looks right. Nice work.

Edit: oh, and he's right, with that SD I can see you standing in front of Marshall JMP's with it.
            Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
            98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Very cool looking, nothing beats creme on black as far as good contrast goes.....

Comment

Nice. Black and cream looks killer.

Comment

Agreed. Killer. Reminds me of my Jersey Deth Star mods a bit (cream rings, cream/black zebra pups and gold hardware). Me likey!

Keep it in the apartment tho...I'd have nightmares of that think shattering on the sidewalk!

Comment

If definitely looks more old school now.
                    Very cool.
                    Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
                    Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

Sweetness! I want to do that to a candy apple red SD1 or a slime green SD1.

Comment

nice work, that looks sweet, makes me regret selling my black one now since the creme and chrome looks so good on it.

-Mike
                        www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I like the Star Wars Potato head in the back ground better....hahaha
                          H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mr426 View Post
                            I like the Star Wars Potato head in the back ground better....hahaha
                            Ah yes - my Bookshelf of Shame contains many secret oddities - the Spudtrooper not the least of them!

Thanks for all the kind words!

Truth be told - the Super Distortion sounds so good in this, it might as well be a single hum model.
                            Blank yo!

Comment

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to do to my black SD-1. I even drew it up on that virtual guitar program but haven't done it yet. I modded my So Cal to be more old school looking but didn't have the guts to do it to the black.

Comment

Working...
                              X