Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good are custom shops?

Hi,

Any feedback on how Charvel custom shop guitars compare to other manufacturers in terms of value for money / finish etc. Im toying with the idea of purchasing a charvel custom but could do with some honest feedback.

cheers

Dont order a neck with any fancy woods like birdseye maple. They still use a single truss rod and if the wood warps and it back bows you are screwed. You have to send it back and hope for a replacement.

Happened to me otherwise they make nice guitars.

Comment

I've had a couple of birdseye necks. Other than an inexplicably dark tone, I had no problems. Bad wood does reside alongside good wood, though, and you generally can't guess which one will or will not have issues. Wood is organic, and will do whatever it will, at will, whether it's maple, mahogany, or korina.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        I've had a couple of birdseye necks. Other than an inexplicably dark tone, I had no problems. Bad wood does reside alongside good wood, though, and you generally can't guess which one will or will not have issues. Wood is organic, and will do whatever it will, at will, whether it's maple, mahogany, or korina.
        If the wood is not properly dried or kilmed it is known to cause backbow issues in necks according to a local luthier I talked to. He worked at Modulus for many years and explained to me need for dual truss rods plus how backbow issues happen on newly constructed guitars.

Comment

The vast majority of my own personal experiences have been excellent. (Including several with highly-figured necks.) Like any other manufacturer, though, a problem makes it out of the shop every once in a blue moon.

The one time I experienced what I would to consider be a significant issue, the custom shop went above and beyond to resolve it to my satisfaction.

Try one for yourself locally, if you can. If not, try one of the USA Production models, as they are reasonably close in feel, play, and sound for you to get a sense as to what a custom shop Charvel will be like.

Comment

If you can afford it a custom shop model is the way to go. Especially if you order it exactly the way you want it and don't compromise. You take your chance with any guitar that the neck might warp. My first EVH warped in a matter of months. The whole guitar was replaced instead of just the neck.

The hardest part about getting a custom shop is the wait and finding a dealer you trust. Once you get the dealer in place it makes things easier. You'll still have to wait.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

i play mine at every gig my band does. it s a wonderful instrument, very well built and a joy to play. mine is quite different for a charvel, but it is very cool....and came out perfectly.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I want to add that the Custom shop Lynch sub-camo was the best playing guitar I ever owned regardless of the issues with my other CS Charvel I just wont order a figured neck is all I am saying.

Comment

I ordered 2 custom shops and they both came messed up the first time and had to be returned/re-built etc.

As for the figured wood issue, one of mine has ebony over birds eye. I have had it for several years in the new england (crazy temp and humidity swings) and have not had a back bow problem (knock on wood). I have old SD necks that move that are over 25 years old and old ones that are rock solid. I have newer necks that move and some that dont. I think that you are somewhat at the luck of the draw, with thinner unfinshed necks tending to be more likely to move or so it seems to me based on my personal expirience.

The final products are very nice and they are capable of getting it right, but be prepared to wait.

The best advice that you have have is to research what you want very thoroughly and make sure you spec everything to a T, including the most mundate details if they matter to you (like tuners etc.). Do not assume that ANYTHING is standard. And most importantly, make sure your order is 100% correct before you sign off and do not change anything once the order is accepted by the custom shop. Follow these rules and you should be OK.

BTW: I agree that the Lynch sub run produced some amazing (if tarnished from the problems) players and I am keeping (and playing) mine regularly.
                  Last edited by RR05xx; 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM.
                  "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                  X