Polar White San Dimas - what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polar White San Dimas - what to do?

A good friend of mine wants a new white San Dimas and, lucky him, Charvel decided to put out a white one with their latest "custom" colors. Only one problem, they put chrome hardware on the Polar White San Dimas! Argh!

I e-mailed Charvel about getting a white one with black hardware and I got a BIG company response stating that yes, we could get one with black hardware, but it would be custom shop and, I quote, "$$$$"...what a jerk!

Anyway, question for all of you...

To get a white San Dimas with black hardware, which would be the best way to go money and time-wise:

1) Get a Polar White San Dimas and sell/trade the chrome hardware for black on JCF or eBay.

2) Get a different color San Dimas, that has black hardware, and paint the guitar white.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Just buy a white one and swap the hardware.
    Do a trade or hell, just buy a new OFR and sell the other one.
    You may end up spending a few bucks more on the replacement parts than you get for selling the originals, but then you can get Schaller style tuners instead of those hideous Grover pegs that they come with.
    -Rick

Comment

If you check with our forum dealers they may be able to swap hardware for you for a nominal charge.

Call them and talk to them.
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Yeah, swapping hardware is pretty easy to do. A set of Gotoh tuners will fit and getting a black OFR is easy to find on Ebay.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

Trade me for your chrome, I hate black hardware
          Don

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbone View Post
            Trade me for your chrome, I hate black hardware
            Buddy hasn't scored the axe yet, but he'd trade ya, I'm sure.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Comment

By the way, your buddy is in the minority (not a bad thing).

Most people were happy to see chrome hardware on this particular model. Especially considering every other production model has black.

Comment

Depending on who repainted it, it'd cost about the same for a refin as it would to replace the non-black stuff.

However, you can't sell the black paint to soften the expense of the refin.

It'd still cost less than a Custom Shop.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                  If you check with our forum dealers they may be able to swap hardware for you for a nominal charge.

Call them and talk to them.
                  I bet a shop could swap the black HW onto the white for you and load the chrome (and creme pu rings) onto a black SD1 that they could sell no problem.

Comment

I would actually trade for chrome hardware, straight up. I have an tangerine so-cal and it would look hot with chrome instead of black.
                    Proud endorser of:
                    Steve Clayton Inc. http://www.steveclayton.com
                    GLS Audio http://www.glsaudio.com
                    Orange County Speaker http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Comment

keep the chrome; chrome floyds sound better anyway.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I just ordered the parts to chrome out my black San Dimas... can't wait.

- chrome OFR
                        - creme rings
                        - Dimarzio SD bridge and PAF Pro Neck
                        - some chrome Gotoh tuners I've had for 20 years.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Paint the hardware black, heh.

Comment

You sure want to make your life difficult....I have a Polar White w/ chrome hardware and just love it....wouldn't change a thing. Fantastic guitar with an excellent set up that required no mods at all after it arrived.

Comment

Call me psychotic

Call me psychotic but i think the chrome makes it look more old school charvel
                              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                              X