Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these stock So Cal pickups? See photo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these stock So Cal pickups? See photo...

This question is for anyone that has removed their pickguard/pickups from their So Cal. I bought a set of pickups that a guy had pulled out of his So Cal and these are what I received:

The Tone Zone is indeed a 155 (DP155 as indicated on Dimarzio's site), but the neck pickup says J58. Dimarzio's site shows an Evo Neck is a DP158. Is this just a goof or is the neck pickup custom wound or something?

Thanks!

Mine is labelled a J58, too. Was wondering the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
      Mine is labelled a J58, too. Was wondering the same thing?
      Interesting... so it would seem it is not a goof then. That leads me to believe it might be a custom wound pickup or something...

Comment

J for Jackson? Maybe Dimarzio made a batch for Jackson with some custom winding.
        Scott

Comment

I doubt that they were custom wound. As Dimarzios are not typically "stamped" with the logo other than when they come stock on guitars such as the So Cal, it may just be a way to specify the "stamped" ones. Is "J" for Jackson or is "J" for Jem? The Evolutions are Vai models afterall.

Comment

Maybe Jackson just labels them like that for easier identification?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Not sure if this still matters, but here are the pickups that came out of my Black SoCal the other day:

Comment

Intresting hmmmm!
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I wonder if Mike or someone from Dimarzio can shed some light on this?

Comment

They are the same pickups, The bridge is F spaced with the "F" stamped on the plate, the other is the same, just labeled a little different but it's still a "N58".

I wonder if Mike or someone from Dimarzio can shed some light on this?

Comment

Originally posted by jmsaxon69 View Post
                      They are the same pickups, The bridge is F spaced with the "F" stamped on the plate, the other is the same, just labeled a little different but it's still a "N58".
                      Yes, thought that was obvious. The question is what does the "J" designate? i.e., Are these "stock" Evo neck PUs, or are they some variation custom wound by Dimarzio for Jackson?

Comment

This seems to be something Dimarzio does with pickups for the Manufactures.
                        I've run into this with Dimarzios in Ibanez guitars. Seems they have there own strange labels as well.
                        Don

Comment

I e-mailed Dimarzio asking what the "J" designation means. Here's their response...

"All it means is that this pickup has chrome polepieces instead of the standard black polepieces that come on a stock Evolution Neck. There's no other difference."

Mystery solved! :ROTF:

Comment

I e-mailed Dimarzio asking what the "J" designation means. Here's their response...

"All it means is that this pickup has chrome polepieces instead of the standard black polepieces that come on a stock Evolution Neck. There's no other difference."

Mystery solved! :ROTF:
                            Ah... but does it mean that they came with chrome polepieces because "J"ackson ordered them that way?
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

I thought the So-Cal had a Dimarzio Breed in the bridge...

Comment

Working...
                              X