Sustainer In A So-Cal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sustainer In A So-Cal?

I've always liked the sustainer pup system that are in some Fernandes guitars, but I don't really dig the guitars themselves.

Since the So-Cals have single coil space routed under their pickguards, I was wondering if a sustainer system could be installed and incorporated into the guitar relatively easily? On the Fernandez I used to own, the sustainer pup was right up by the neck, and I don't know if it has to be in that position to work or not.

Does anyone think that this could be viable? I'm not much of a tech, but I think a So-Cal with a sustainer could be badass.

Huh?
    The So-Cal route is H-H not H-S, but that's regardless.
    You can add a sustainer to a So-Cal, but you will have to have some space routed under the pickguard for the circuit board, battery and switches if you went with a Fernandez kit.
    As for the driver location, it will work in a standard pickup location. No need to move it against the end of the fret board.

If you want to keep routing to a minimum, look into a Sustainiac Stealth Pro system.
    In some cases you may not have to do any routing at all.
    http://www.sustainiac.com/prpickgrd.htm
    -Rick

Comment

Mine is routed like a modern Strat: H-S-H.

Comment

Lots of room in there for a Stealth Pro kit. You could use the single coil route space for the battery. Makes it a real bitch to swap out though.
        -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the info. It sounds like it's a pretty doable mod!

Comment

..but a real fernandes install w circuit board is going to be tough. The Revolver has fairly large rear-load rout to hold all that stuff. it doabble just measure twice and cut once.
            Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
            98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
              ..but a real fernandes install w circuit board is going to be tough. The Revolver has fairly large rear-load rout to hold all that stuff. it doabble just measure twice and cut once.
              If I go through with it, I'll probably hire someone much more skilled than myself to do the mod, but the advice is golden in any case.

Comment

Definitely look into the Sustainiac. The board is much smaller and can be placed vertically on edge to take up less room.

I've got one and was thinking of the same mod.

However, the driver does have to be mounted at the neck. The single-coil version can be combined with another single-spaced pickup (JB jr, etc) in a humbucker-sized neck slot, but the Sustainiac driver should be the closest thing to the neck.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

he's right. Now, the fernandes can be had in either config, either single or hum...I'd say there are plenty of options to do this.

the jb trembucker at the bridge really works well with the Sustainer.
                  Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                  98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Another thing you'll have to consider is how to access the battery. The 22 fret neck over hangs the pickguard such that you can't take the pickguard off without removing the neck. A bit of a pain if you are commonly replacing a battery.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm trying to decide which sustainer system to commit to, and then I'll have to find someone qualified to install it!

Comment

Working...
                      X