Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trembucker/F-Space vs. Standard Width...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trembucker/F-Space vs. Standard Width...

I noticed that the bridge bucker on the SoCal is a standard spaced pickup. Personally, I've never had any problems using a standard sized bucker in the bridge of Floyded/Fender guitars, but some people swear they notice a major difference/have problems with the standards. Some of them, I'm pretty sure it's just because of what they heard from other people, not from a guitar set up that way. I remember F-space/TB units were not very common, and I don't recall it being a major detriment. What are the thoughts around here on the subject?

I use both trembucers and standard spaced duncan distortions. I can't tell the difference.
    2008 DXMG in Gray w/ Duncan Mayhem set
    2007 DK2m White Bengal
    88 Jackson limited edition
    Charvel Preditor
    PS-3T Rhoads Performer
    Jackson DX10D
    3 Randall RGT 100 ES tube heads
    4 JCM900 4x12 bottom cabs
    Rockman 1/2 rack Chorus/Delay
    Roland GP-8 Rack processor

Comment

It will only make a difference on low output bridge pickups. Other then that it just looks off if you are putting your face up close to the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Slik_Karl View Post
        I use both trembucers and standard spaced duncan distortions. I can't tell the difference.
        Same here, but with JB's. A/B'd with one of each in very similar Strats, I didn't hear anything that would suggest the TB-4 sounded any more 'full' than the SH-4 on the E strings.
        Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        It will only make a difference on low output bridge pickups.
        I wouldn't have even thought about that, I've never used anything lower output than the JB in the bridge. Which ironically seems to be what the biggest F-Space/TB sellers are: High output.

Comment

I notice a difference between Duncan Distortions. Trembuckers are more articulate - the notes in solos are clear and defined, even on high-gain settings, almost like the gain is being backed down. You've still got the buzz/fuzz of the actual preamp distortion, but compared to the standard-spaced Distortion pickup, the notes themselves are clearer, almost crispy.

Inversely, with a standard-spaced in a Floyded guitar, I find the pickup to have a bit of tonal "blur" around the notes - they're smoother, less articulated, and generally lend themselves better to doing hammer-on and pull-off runs and having them sound smooth.

To me it's like the difference between strings you put on today and the same strings about a week or two later - still useable, but tonally different.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

To me F-spaced pickups always look tighter and cleaner. Although I have stuck a Gibson spaced pickup in various axes and they have cranked, but I always felt better about having the pole pieces perfectly aligned under the strings. I would probably convince myself it sounds better just because it looks better.

Comment

I just replaced the stock Duncan JB that is "F" spaced in my Slime Green SD1 with a non "F" spaced EVH Frankenstein Replica and I can for sure say that I can't hear how it's hurting the sound, it sounds great! I guess the question would be, how much better would it sound if it was F Spaced? Or would it sound better? Maybe it's part of why it sounds better. All I know is that like it so much I ordered another one (non-relic on both).

Comment

I thought that the bridge bucker in the socal was f-spaced. Someone posted pics of a set and I saw the f stamped in the base plate. Is this not the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                  I thought that the bridge bucker in the socal was f-spaced. Someone posted pics of a set and I saw the f stamped in the base plate. Is this not the case?
                  It is F spaced indeed, I just posted that pic.

Comment

I'm pretty sure mine is not an F-spaced Tone Zone. I'll have to pull it the next time I change strings to verify the base, but compared to standard spaced Evolution and PAF Pro I have in my parts box (and a TB-4) the TZ that came in my SoCal appears to be standard spaced.

Comment

Ok, I think I have this figured out as far as the 4 different brands of pickups I have here at the house :idea:. The F spaced Duncans actually have wider bobbins than the Dimarzios. The Dimarzios have a regular bobbin size, but the pole pieces are set as an F spaced pickup, so it is not physically wider but the pole pieces match up to F spaced pickups correctly. So if you just compare pickup sizes it can be decieving as to if it's F spaced or not.

Originally posted by jet66 View Post
                      I'm pretty sure mine is not an F-spaced Tone Zone. I'll have to pull it the next time I change strings to verify the base, but compared to standard spaced Evolution and PAF Pro I have in my parts box (and a TB-4) the TZ that came in my SoCal appears to be standard spaced.

Comment

That does appear to be the case. It appears the coils on the F-spaced Dimarzios are wound out wider, despite the smaller bobbin size. When I put an Evo2 F-space in a Strat pickguard that is cut for standard spaced (it used to have the Evo and the PAF Pro at one time or another) buckers, I had to open it up a bit to fit the coils through. I figured it would have been wider overall, but measuring the bobbins themselves, they are not as wide as the Duncans.

Comment

Guys on the Duncan forum have been saying for years that the standard spaced pickups sound better than their equivalent trem spaced ones even in a trem equipped guitar. I had forgotten about that until the other day on Rig Talk a few guys were saying the same thing.

I have never done a direct comparison, but I will say this. My favorite tones were by Eddie and George and Warren and Akira and Ronni Le Tekro and Doug Aldrich and Marc Diglio and Joe Holmes back in the 80's. None of these favorite tones of mine were achieved by F-spaced or Trembucker spaced pickups because they hadn't even been invented yet. Heck, Ronni Le Tekro said recently that he seeks out the 80's era Duncan Customs because they sound better than the new ones to him so....... I'm just gonna play what I have.

Comment

Working...
                          X