So-Cal, not enough pull-back on Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So-Cal, not enough pull-back on Floyd

I got my new So-Cal and it plays and sounds great. The only complaint I have is that there's not a lot of pull-back (raising of pitch) on the Floyd Rose. I don't know If I should shim the neck or have the bridge area routed out. I know both would affect tone and sustain. A shim would obviously be cheaper. Thoughts? Thanks

If it were me, I'd do the shim. If you notice any problem from that, then think about plan B, but I think you're going to be fine with a small shim.

Comment

Just get a screwdriver and do like Steve Vai.
      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Routing a small amount behind the trem won't have a measurable affect tone or sustain. Adding a shim will create a gap in the pocket between the neck and body.

As well, the pickups on a SoCal can't adjust too high if you shim the neck. When I put the other neck on my green SC the angle was such that I had to raise the trem considerably. I had tons of room to pull back but the pickups wouldn't get close enough to the strings without top-mounting them ala Dave Murray.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Screwdriver???

Comment

Thanks Newc, any idea what such a routing would cost me?

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical1 View Post
              Screwdriver???
              screwdriver ~= chisel
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Routing a small amount behind the trem won't have a measurable affect tone or sustain. Adding a shim will create a gap in the pocket between the neck and body.
                Not if the shim is done right. And, even if there is a small area, it will have minimal impact on tone or sustain, if anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy View Post
                  Dont.
                  Maybe the dingo at your baby?

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy View Post
                    I think if you use a Phillips screwdriver, you could probably make the grooves just like he did pretty easily... Just don't slip
                    Don

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      Not if the shim is done right. And, even if there is a small area, it will have minimal impact on tone or sustain, if anything at all.
                      + 1

as far as the routing cost probably $50 or more if you take it apart yourself and just take them the body. If they have to take it apart and put it back together and do a setup you can expect it to be a lot more.

I would try the shim first...

Comment

how bout just not pulling back so hard and bend your strings instead.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Rout out the back. IMO.
                          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Not sure exactly how much pull up you want, but here's what I do:

I've found that these guitars (and most people set up this way) come with the floyd set parallel to the body. I like the angle of the baseplate to match the angle of the neck, NOT the body - so I set my baseplate tipped forward a little bit: Parallel to the neck and the strings, not the body. This gives a little bit more space for you to yank the trem back before it bottoms out.

Obviously, higher action will also give you some more yank.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                            X