Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try the graphtech floyd as a replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try the graphtech floyd as a replacement?

I've got a new USA production San Dimas and I've been considering replacing the floyd with this...

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=28

This would give me the options of a piezo and MIDI. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these. Thanks!

This is the first I've seen of that, but I have other GraphTech products and have been impressed (nuts, string retainers, saddles). It looks like a great idea. I'll be interested in hearing how it turns out for you.

Comment

That's the first I've seen of those.Now I'm a bit interested too.

Comment

I love the bar on that bridge, but like the others, it's a first for me as well. Will have to try one sometime.
        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

They also have that without the piezo pickups http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=44

Side note to self: Graptech products seem really sexy
          Last edited by Dred; 04-15-2009, 09:06 AM.
          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Interesting - they have those little saddle inserts like the newer Ibanez Edge bridges.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

i have an ibanez s series with a piezo edge trem, and ive really been enjoying it lately, im very interested to see if anyone has one of these.

Comment

also, op, you may have to do some routing/drilling to fit the preamp/extra knob/switch in a san dimas. it would be a little more feasible on a so cal, but even on one of those, some routing may be necessary.

Comment

I don't know about those, but I had the regular Graphtech Floyd saddle replacements and put them on an Original Floyd once... They sucked! I didn't notice any difference in sound, and they cracked very quickly if you tightened the locking screw just a hair too tight.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I busted an OFR saddle once using 10s (think it was the 4th or 5th, can't recall), so you can't really say it's limited to the GTs.

I'm definitely interested in hearing how this bridge sounds. I tried to mount a disc piezo transducer on a Floyd a couple of years ago and it sounded promising, but couldn't figure out a way get it permanently mounted. The sound I was getting was very close to my Takamine acoustic - it was definitely more woody than piezo-y.
                    I'd like to know if these sound that good.

As well, it should be easy to plug this into a Variax system.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Those look like modded gotoh trems to me.
                      Last edited by Carbuff; 04-16-2009, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        I busted an OFR saddle once using 10s (think it was the 4th or 5th, can't recall), so you can't really say it's limited to the GTs.
                        Well, the GT Floyd saddles were just graphite/plastic, so they're a lot easier to break than a regular metal saddle.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

do they do a version of this without the midi crap? i'd be super interested if it was piezo floyd only.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                            do they do a version of this without the midi crap? i'd be super interested if it was piezo floyd only.
                            I believe you can do it with MIDI, piezo or both.

Comment

Yes they do, I would just get the piezo.
                              '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                              '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                              custom made Les Paul
                              VOX Tonelab LE
                              Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                              ADA MP1
                              BBE 422A
                              Lexicon MPX-G2
                              ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                              Support Your Local 81

Comment