X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Project

http://www.djbuszko.com/charvelproject

Let me know what else I should do to her

I think you should put some pickups in it... maybe put the the volume control through the hole...
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      I think you should put some pickups in it... maybe put the the volume control through the hole...
      Good one! :ROTF:

Comment

Never mind
        Last edited by SATCH1967; 04-13-2009, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SATCH1967 View Post
          First of all the vol pot is to thick to fit through and if you knew anything about USA San Dimas Charvels you would know that the pot is not OEM, second of all I was not looking for a smart ass comment,
          This guitar is a project that my dad and I started and he passed away before we could finish it and I am trying to finish it so I have someting special to remember him and the time we had discussing the project. So is now still a good one!
          First - Can't tell a thing from the fuzzy pics - original pot, switch, pickup rings or not.

Second - You don't want smart ass comments, then post some info about the project rather than just a couple out of focus pics with zero details. What's there to comment on? - its a 2 hum strat body with a Kahler.

Finally - sorry to hear about your Pops - father/son projects are some of the best things in the world and I enjoyed doing them with my Dad when I was a kid.
          Blank yo!

Comment

Double cremes in the creme rings would be cool. Double cremes in brass rings would be even cooler IMO.

Comment

Satch1967,
              I am sorry to hear about your Dad. I confess that I laughed at the comments before realizing that this was a special project that you and your Dad were working on together. To be fair, whenever I post on this board, I always expect a "smart ass" comment from these guys. I like to add a few when I can too. To me, this is part of the "charm" of this forum because almost everyone gives and takes it so well. I'm pretty sure that no one would make smart ass comments if we knew the background story and how much this project means to you.

Can you tell us a little about where you and your Dad wanted to go with the project?

Comment

I am just tightly wrapped right now,, going gas can now and then,,

Back to guitars

Well what we where talking about was the paint, to either keep it the same or some kind of rootbeer burst, he really like the color of my mdl 88, but we both were unsure of what the wood would be like under the paint. The one thing he liked was the way the creme pup looked on a couple of Trace's guitars so that part I want to keep. As far as the pickups go, I have a Duncan the mag on her way to me, never installed and double creme, I am unsure of the neck pup, I like the Jazz, but not sure if I want to go with a les paul sound neck pup. He and myself like the vintage Hot Rod Flames, I tought of a retop nice book-matched flame in a blue burst (but since GMW does not do that kind of work anymore) not sure who would do that type of quality work I could trust.

I apperciate the kind words thank you it does mean alot to me BIG TIME!

Comment

Throw in a couple of cremes, zebras or one of each and that baby would look cool as all get out. The color of that guitar looks awesome in the pics and goes great with the nice collection you have. Heck, you know you can't go wrong with a Dimarzio Super D or Tone Zone and any Duncan for that matter. I dig the color, looks like Dodger blue. And hey, don't forget to oil up the fret board.

Comment

I think you need to look hard at your amp (high gain or low), and the body wood for pups.

If you have a high gain amp then there are a lot of options. JB's work great in Alder for the SD "sound", and a JB/Jazz or C5/Jazz combo may work well. Don't think LP unless the body is mahogany.

If you have a low gain amp (marshall JMP or anything pre JCM800 era -early 80's) then you may want to go for a hotter pup to drive the low gain amp as it was done back then (if that is your interest) and a Dimarzio Sd certainly fits the bill. Remember that super hot pups really don't care what kind of wood they are in (thats the point). They're there to overdrive the amp. I have a '78 JMP, an 85 JCM800, and a 92 soldano HR50. I've been lucky enough to have combos of guitars/amps that work well together , but less so when switching amplification.
                    the JMP is low gain (but master vol), the JCM800 is higher gain w/tight bottom, and the Soldano is high gain but sort of "equalized". A lot of guitars sound similar through it. What do you want the guitar to be? Hot rodded 2009 or hot rodded 1983? or do you want to match it to your amp....ain't complicated. if you have a preference everyone in here will help you get there.

Good luck
                    Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 04-13-2009, 11:41 PM.
                    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Great suggestions and advice from 85.

The only other thing I would throw out there is to consider how many options you want to have and to consider what will work well with the kahler, especially if you find them thin sounding as some here do. I've found that real ballsey pickups sound best with a kahler - good hump in the midrange and some highs. A SD distortion or a Dimarsio SD, a JB or a tone zone. Other than that go for what you like. Creme or black parts would both go well with the blue and gold you've already got.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

+1 to triplehold's suggestions. I really like the color too. With the cream or zebra pick ups and cream rings and that color ...just screams San Dimas to me. How is the paint and finish?
                        If you are set on going the graphics route, I do like the classic hot rod flame look and it sounds like your Dad was leaning that way too. Maybe use the existing blue as the base color and add the flame job.

Comment

Guy's I have thought hard about the color and will leave it in the current, but if I change it it'll be the HRF, I have a Duncan The Mag on it's way, for the bridge and was also thinking about a vintage X2N creme of course, and maybe the Jazz in the bridge. I have one in my 2k5 Charvel and it is really nice sounding, The amp that I play trhoug all the time is a Marshall JCM 900, 1 12, had the open tube slots to bump her up to 100watts which I had done. Really nice little amp with tons of power in reserve.

Oh yeah I got that neck oiled up last night,
                          Thanks for the good words on my collection to.

D

Comment

Sounds sweet, please post photos when you finish her up!

Comment

Ok will do, I just got my bridge pickup, A Seymour Duncan Double creme, "The MAg" should sound sweet, I got a jack and jack plate on its way also, now to find the right neck pup to match the The Mag bridge pup.
                              Will have new pics up tonight and will post the link.

Comment

Working...
                              X