Building a Van Halen Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Van Halen Clone

Anyone here have any experience building/modifying guitars? I am currently thinking of taking a Strat copy I have and turning it into a White/Black VH1. Any tips for where to place the tape and how to paint would be great. Also I have to rout out a single coil slot for a humbucker, and I would like to rout it out for a Floyd and add a recessed cavity. I have never done anything like this before but I figure it could be fun and good to see if I like to do this type of work.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention I will post pics as the money becomes available to do this project.
    Last edited by KLNowak; 03-26-2009, 08:49 AM.
    I would so snatch that up it if were 24 frets

I'm out like Axl Rose just before a GNR concert

A dude over at Van Halen.com....I guess it's Halen.com now, WTF??? Posted and uploaded some lifesize PDFs sometime back that can be helpful. There are also some threads over there with boatloads of pix of that guitar including 1-2 rare ones of the back of it.

Here is link, and one of the keys to some of Ed's stripework is that one piece of tape often runs around the body a couple of times, rather than appearing to be just tape on the front, different tape lines on the back.

http://halen.com/evh/index.php?name=...topic&t=688043

Comment

Thanks for the link, Tito.
      MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Yeah, awesome link- best EVH site ever. There's some great b&w VH1 info there.

Comment

+1

Let me know if you guys get all of those PDF's, if so, I'll give you a spot to upload them to and share with the rest of the board. I was only able to download one of them do to the server they're hosted on I guess. I'm using a new powerbook and it's not completely setup yet and I'm too lazy to go downstairs, been working my ass off all day! So it's relaxation time!

Pm me if needed.
          Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like it will be a little while before I get started though as I was waiting on taxes to do this. But it looks like I gotta wait a little longer.
            I would so snatch that up it if were 24 frets

I'm out like Axl Rose just before a GNR concert

Comment

Working...
            X