Charvel influences from the '80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel influences from the '80s

Who are your favourite Charvel players from the heydays of the '80s?

Alan
    Last edited by alanhindle; 05-15-2010, 06:22 PM.

Hey NOS-newb! I like Steve Vai. Like him a LOT.

Comment

Charvel and Jackson players both got me hooked. Vivian Campbell's Dio days, Gary Moore's Wild Frontier days, Amir Derakh's aircraft Jacksons, Warren DiMartini, George Lynch, Criss Oliva, Jeff Beck's pink Soloist, all of Vai's Jacksons and the green Charvel, Randy Rhoads... I'm sure there are others, that's just off the top of my head.

Comment

Shawn Lane.
        http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Funny thing.. I got hooked on Jackson and Charvel because of the quality. Not by any players. I like Steve Vai, but always knew him as a Ibanez player. It was after I saw Crossroads I first noticed he had played Jackson.
          '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
          '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
          '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
          '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
          '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          '13 Gibson M-III
          Taylor 214CE
          Dean 6-string Bass
          Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Originally posted by ToneZone View Post
            Funny thing.. I got hooked on Jackson and Charvel because of the quality. Not by any players. I like Steve Vai, but always knew him as a Ibanez player. It was after I saw Crossroads I first noticed he had played Jackson.
            Yeah, at the end of the day, that's what really matters. As a kid, I think I arrived at that one by default:

What are these great technical players using?.......Charvels and Jacksons....Wow they look cool......they must be great guitars if these guys use them.

I'm still a kid now....as my wife keeps telling me!

Anyway, here's a memory jogger to stimulate some more ideas about fave Charvel users (OK some on the photo are Jackson users):

Edit: Try again

http://audiozone.dk/cm/albums/jc-mem...lSuccessAd.jpg

Last edited by alanhindle; 03-15-2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneZone View Post
              Funny thing.. I got hooked on Jackson and Charvel because of the quality. Not by any players.
              I was poor and living in the boonies. My best guitar at the time was an Electra Strat-style guitar, with a bucker I put in the bridge myself, taken from a Sears guitar. I also had a Rhoads V copy that I put a Floyd Rose on, that was my main guitar for a long time after I got rid of the Electra.

In 1986, I finally got to actually touch a Jackson when a friend of a friend loaned me his Soloist for a show.

Comment

Steve Vai was the first person that made me take a look at Charvel. Bought my first Model 4 soon after they were released (with the Kahler) But the name wasn't the selling point. It was a great guitar
                Don

Comment

I'd agree with JEL.
                  Great player.
                  It was Jake and Viv back then that brought it to my attention.
                  Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Pretty sure Jake's was a Fender with a badged Charvel logo, could be wrong though. Warren, Eddie (both of 'em), GL, Vai, etc.
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                      Pretty sure Jake's was a Fender with a badged Charvel logo, could be wrong though. Warren, Eddie (both of 'em), GL, Vai, etc.
                      Jake's was.
                      There is a quote around here somewhere where he had mentioned that it went in for some work and came out with the logo.

But, back then, I didn't know. Just knew that Bark at the Moon was a killer song and vide.
                      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                        I'd agree with JEL.
                        Great player.
                        It was Jake and Viv back then that brought it to my attention.
                        I very much admire Viv Campbell's playing. Holy Diver is the album I keep playing in the car at the moment.

Alan

Comment

I had never heard of Charvel until i was in a 2nd hand store and saw a Model 4 sitting in the corner covered in dust. They hadn't been able to shift it for a while so i came home, found JCF Online, had a look about then went back into the store the next day to try it out, fell in love and took it home for a very reasonable £100. Don't think i touched my Gibson SG for about 2 months after i bought the Model 4.
                          Then about a year after that i bumped into an old school buddy who was working in a guitar store and he said they had a NOS Charvel Star, black, maple board, HSS cinfig and OFR. Went up to see him on my lunch break in University, put a depostit on it and got to take it home. I fell in love again. Plus was tagged at £800, he kindly gave it to me for £540 or thereabouts 'cos, again, it couldn't be shifted.
                          Charvel guitars aren't that common in Scotland, i don't think. Almost everyone who asks about mine have never heard of Charvel, Jackson yes however.

I only spent two years of my life in the 80's, was born in 88, so i missed most of the good days of quality music, pointy headed and crazily couloured guitars, long hair, denim and Airwolf. But i still do my best to keep it alive In my head anyway.

I'm sick of seeing every young band and their mother playing Les Pauls, Strats and Teles. Kids around here seem to use giutars, Les Pauls especially, like a fashion accessory.
                          Stringed things:
                          Charvel Model 4
                          Charvel NOS Star
                          Gibson SG Special

Comment

Let's see:

EVH B&Y
                            Anything that Warren played
                            Jake obviously
                            Lynch bengal and orange sub
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Reading "Guitar For The Practicing Musician" and seeing videos on MTV (back when Empty-V actually played rock videos) got me started on wanting a USA Charvel or Jackson. I can remember Warren, Jake, George, Steve Lynch and all of those guys having really cool guitars. Although I knew Eddie had a Charvel connection, I was associating him more with Kramer as I was in high school back when "1984" came out.
                              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                              X