SD 1 electronics query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD 1 electronics query

Could someone take a pic of the electronics cavity on their Production model SD1 and post it for me. Im interested in what the wiring looks like. Thanks.

It's fairly tame - I'll see if I can snap a pic tomorrow.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Here ya go
      Don

Comment

Boy - seems a lot messier than it needs to be, don't it. I would have run a lot less ground wires.

Is there a ground under each pickup, too? Like they used to do on the Model series imports? Seem superfluous.

Run the grounds to the pot, the pot to the ground, one to the trem claw and you're done.
        Blank yo!

Comment

They definitely left a lot of lead on the pups, as well as a fair piece to the jack in the SoCal as well. Nice for taking things apart and working without needing to cut or desolder anything for room, but definitely packs out the space.

Those grounds to the pickup cavities are pretty much standard on a rear-route, assuming there is some sort of shield paint in there. I can't say that I have ever tried guitars with and without them to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

It is a little messy That was my first thought when I pulled the cavity cover. The ground wires do go to the pup routes as well, and yes they have black shielding paint in the pup routes
            A little off topic, but since we are talking messy... Just for a comparison, here's the cavity from my Gibson/Kramer Pacer Imperial Quite a bit of difference in cleanliness That to me is what a control cavity should look like
            Don

Comment

Hey, thanks for that. Yeah, it is a bit messy in there. That other cavity looks so, um, shiny. That helps me a lot guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbone View Post
                It is a little messy That was my first thought when I pulled the cavity cover. The ground wires do go to the pup routes as well, and yes they have black shielding paint in the pup routes
                A little off topic, but since we are talking messy... Just for a comparison, here's the cavity from my Gibson/Kramer Pacer Imperial Quite a bit of difference in cleanliness That to me is what a control cavity should look like
                Yeah - the controls in my SG were very neat and color coded... before I ripped everything out for EMGs... oh man, I fukked that wiring job up...
                Blank yo!

Comment

Are you guys serious? Who gives a damn?! I hope you guys never have to buy a new car or a house, sheesh, the nit picking!
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Nit picking??? What's wrong with taking pride in your work? Wow... I guess that is something that has been forgotten in this day and age of who cares how it looks, get it out the door as quick as possible... Something I will never allow my employees to do...
                    Don

Comment

I prefer my wire work to be more concise and neat as well.

When I unwired mine to do the shielding, there was definitely a cold joint where the bridge ground was soldered on top of the switch and jack grounds on the back of the pot. The solder on that wire popped right off of the first joint before either was hot enough to run.

Comment

I agree, sloppy looking wiring isn't nice. When I first opened the back of mine, I thought the previous owner messed with it - especially the wiring to the 3-way. Just looked like a non-pro did it. Could be they are just done quickly, and not custom shop careful, etc.

Still great guitars - in need of a little TLC.
                        '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                        '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                        '98 PRS Custom 22
                        '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

"Take pride in your work"? It's the control cavity where everything's wired. It's not integral to the visual or performance.

Didn't I just read this same argument over at the Duncan forum when some guy found gray bobbins under the covers of his new ReIssue LP and then slammed Gibson for "not having pride in their work"?

Sheesh, loosen up fellas before your sphincters cramp up.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Grey bobbins???

That's a hangin' offense.
                            Blank yo!

Comment

The only things I care about are:
                              (a) it works
                              (b) it doesn't hum
                              (c) the control plate/pickguard fits without a bulge

Sheesh, loosen up fellas before your sphincters cramp up.
                              LMAO!!!!:ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                              X