Mike Shannon Charvel Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Shannon Charvel Explorer

Hi all. I need your help... what would you say this guitar would go for price wise? I might be obtaining it in a trade and was wondering its value.

Its a Mike Shannon built Charvel explorer with yellow/black zebra graphic, #1646. I should be recieving more information and documentations soon, but whatever help you can give me now would be great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...7/MVC-021S.jpg
    sigpic

I could be wrong but I think that one was restored in the late 90s when you could still get Mike Shannon to do "side work" maybe someone else knows more.

Comment

Here is what he sent me:

"mike shannon rebuilt this guitar for me in 2000. it was originally owned and for the most part destroyed by dave linsk of overkill.
      I have always had a great working relationship with some of the chavel employees and mike offered to rebuild the guitar using what salvageable parts remained.
      everything is period correct parts wise.
      I have the original work order, a blank charvel warranty card, dave picks,receipts with both partiesnames, dave soriginal stenciled case..."
      "serial number is 1646 which dates to '82"

i'll upload the pictures when i get a chance.
      sigpic

Comment

heh. trace? care to comment? if this is the guitar that i think it is, it's got a colorful history.

ETA: this guitar was discussed HEAVILY on tracy's board. here's a link.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          heh. trace? care to comment? if this is the guitar that i think it is, it's got a colorful history.

sully
          Can you copy and paste some of the informative posts. Most of us cant get on the board and I am too lazy today to get my registration in. LOL.

Comment

in a nutshell, it was parts built around a plate and a work order, and the seller wasn't super honest about it. i guess the original thread happened here with scoville (he got burned on this guitar). i'll see if i can find it.

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

here's the jcf thread

here's an excerpt from it:

I was amazed at its near pristine condition, much like 2 of the other 4 i bought from this seller.
              I was excited to have it so i took a few pics of my charvels all together and posted them online, most of which nobody knew i had.
              After seeing these pics somebody came forward and revealed that my Charvel strat-head zebra explorer, serial number 1646, was at one point on the GMW website. The explorer was the 3rd guitar i bought from this seller (bought the previous year).

So i asked John about this and he said he lent the guitar to Lee (GMW) so a guy from Canada could make a replica of it and also told me the story again of how he acquired the guitar:

"this was dave linsk of overkills guitar... dave lived in jersey for a number of yrs and decided when the band was failing to start letting some guitars go to pay bills etc...
              he was of the mindset they were worth more parted so thats what he did .. wouldnt sell them to you as a whole... and he did get more money out of them this way...I ended up getting 90% of the guitar myself but had to do some horsetrading with a guy to get the correct #1646 neck plate back on the guitar...
              was kinda bullshit actually but alls well that ended well...
              seymour invader bridge, 59 neck... 1 11/16 nut 2 1/4 butt...brass nut,v-trem
              very typical backshape...guitar is on the heavy side.
              original case and work order..."

His excuse seemed unlikely and after having been a bit suspicious of its very good condition i decided to try and track down dave linsk himself. Here's what he had to say after i sent a picture of it to him:

"hi chris....i thought that i should let you know that no it is not my guitar....i still own it....the case and neck plate were mine from this guitar..... i sold them a while ago... i bought a new case and was offered a decent amount for the plate so i figured sure what fuck i don`t really need them and let them go........anyway i thought you should know that the plate is the original one and the case is original too...hope this helps....dave"
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

All that aside, I'm sure it's a nice guitar. I'd price it along with the other GMW parts monsters.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yeah there was a lot of discussion when this appeared...cool rebuild....
                  www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                  My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Good thing i brought it up hear. THanks to all
                    sigpic

Comment

To answer your orginal question and if Mike Shannon had built it with documentation and the parts are correct for the era 2k is a fair price.

Comment

Hmmm

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                        To answer your orginal question and if Mike Shannon had built it with documentation and the parts are correct for the era 2k is a fair price.
                        Well...I ended up with this guitar(with documentation) and it is KILLER!! I got it for next to nothing and my bro MS confirmed it. Plays like a motherf**ker!! Sweet!!

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post

sully
                          When I clicked that, a page comes up: "You have been permanently banned from this board.
                          Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.
                          A ban has been issued on your IP address"

What'd I do? :think:
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

you probably did post enough over there. the board owner is very anal about that. you are better off....

Comment

Originally posted by chrisintampa View Post
                              you probably did post enough over there. the board owner is very anal about that. you are better off....
                              your post makes NO sense....did you mean to write "you probably did NOT post enough..."
                              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Working...
                              X