What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What corners were cut on the production models

I know the obvious ... Grover tuners, Korean Floyd, built on a line, etc. But what else???

CNC machining?
    Made by Fender employees?
    Multiple-piece bodies (like the 7 or more piece Mexistrats)?
    Lower grade alder and maple?
    Cheaper electronics?
    Inexpensive paint?

I'm in love with mine, but just wondering how comparable these are to USA custom shop Charvels or even USA Fender stratocasters. I've never played custom Charvels but have played USA Jacksons and USA standard strats, and my Charvels feel similarly if not better comparatively. So what corners were really cut?
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

the most obvious one is the cheap crappy pickguard on the SoCal, which simply does not belong on such a nice guitar.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

From the guitars I tried, one cut corner would seem to be in setup. They feel mass produced, rather than 'cared for'.
      Oh, and I seem to recall reading that the bodies were 3 piece as well.
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

3 piece isn't bad at all. USA strats are 3 piece, so I'm cool with that. Does that mean custom shops are 1 or 2 piece?

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy View Post
          I know the obvious ... Grover tuners, Korean Floyd, built on a line, etc. But what else???

CNC machining?
          Made by Fender employees?
          Multiple-piece bodies (like the 7 or more piece Mexistrats)?
          Lower grade alder and maple?
          Cheaper electronics?
          Inexpensive paint?
          Would any of these be a problem? :think:
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Cutting corners is such a dirty phrase. These are really awesome guitars for the price, end of story. If you have custom shop envy, buy a custom shop.

Oh, and I like the Socal pickguard and would hate to see them switch to a strat style 3-ply gloss.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Everybody is CNC machining rough shapes so that's not it.
              Fender employees? Not that has been announced. Charvel production line in the Fender factory? Yeah.
              Multiple piece bodies? MIM strats are 3 piece nowadays not 7, but I don't think that's it.
              Lower grade alder and maple? nah. Woulden't make sense to source wood from 2 suppliers like that.
              Cheaper electronics? Dimarzio and Duncans are the same. Possibly get them cheaper by buying in bulk.
              Same with the paint. Makes sense to buy 1000's of gallons of 3 colors instead of 100's of gallons of 20 colors.

Could be they are using an introductory pricing scheme and will raise prices by a %age for a few years once they hit the wall on new sales.
              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I guess since a "production guitar" like this is a concept that hasn't previously been applied to the USA side of the Chavel brand, some folks have a tough time accepting it. Previously, all USA Charvels were custom orders or at least produced in the custom shop.

Some folks are just too locked in the past and tradition to consider anything at all that might allow the Charvel brand to move forward. Heck, some guys would prefer that it had remained dead all long. IMHO, that's just lame.

But, concept and production-wise, these are just like USA Fender Strats. Very good, reasonably-priced, moderately high-quality guitars. Is an American Standard Fender Strat just as good as a custom shop Strat? Nope - no way. But - "bang for the buck"-wise - it is a better value than the custom shop Strat? Arguably, yes. ...Same thing with these USA Production Charvels. It's that simple. That's not "cutting corners". That's a different product approach and marketing altogether.

Comment

Anyone know the specifics on any differences in how the fretwork is done on these versus a select series Jackson? To me, it's all about the fretwork.

Comment

Korean floyd instead of german, gigbag instead of hardshell case. the rest is just stream lining production. same one piece neck for all model, 3 bodies but same config, limited colors.
                    Probably saved a lot by not having the master builders build them too.
                    Maybe the profit margin is less too.

Comment

I hope I didn't come across as trying to say that production < custom. That's not it at all. What I'm seeing is that they really didn't cut corners. These guitars are awesome for the money and arguably some of the best superstrats on the market right now. Just thought I'd start to thread to see what everyone else thought. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        Oh, and I like the Socal pickguard and would hate to see them switch to a strat style 3-ply gloss.
                        oh really? they are only the worst pickguards I've ever seen or felt, they don't match the guitar or the paint quality in any way. forgivable I suppose since they are an easy swap out, but talk about a square peg.

I have a spare one I can let you have for only $50 since you like them so much....
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy View Post
                          I hope I didn't come across as trying to say that production < custom. That's not it at all. What I'm seeing is that they really didn't cut corners. These guitars are awesome for the money and arguably some of the best superstrats on the market right now. Just thought I'd start to thread to see what everyone else thought. Thanks for the replies.

Call me crazy, but I'd say you're crazy.
                          A custom shop is better than a production model. They cut corners in the fretwork, finish, hardware and quality of wood.

I also don't feel these guitars are awesome for the money.
                          I'd take one of these over a production Charvel any day of the week.
                          https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalo...p?model=tmac6c
                          It's cheaper, has more features I'd like and even comes with a proper case.

I'd also consider a US Masters:
                          http://www.usmasters.com/Performerguitars.htm

I think I'd even build a parts guitar to specs I want over settling for a production Charvel.
                          Buying everything new from warmoth gets you a body color not limited to what Charvel dicides is in this quarter, quartersawn maple neck, Real OFR Trem, 1 vol, 3 way, Gotoh tuners and 2 duncan pickups for a total of $961. Add SS Frets and it's an additional $20...

And I know I could build one considerably cheaper using other suppliers and sources for parts.

YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by MEX3 View Post
                            Call me crazy, but I'd say you're crazy.
                            A custom shop is better than a production model. They cut corners in the fretwork, finish, hardware and quality of wood.

I also don't feel these guitars are awesome for the money.
                            I'd take one of these over a production Charvel any day of the week.
                            https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalo...p?model=tmac6c
                            It's cheaper, has more features I'd like and even comes with a proper case.

I'd also consider a US Masters:
                            http://www.usmasters.com/Performerguitars.htm

I think I'd even build a parts guitar to specs I want over settling for a production Charvel.
                            Buying everything new from warmoth gets you a body color not limited to what Charvel dicides is in this quarter, quartersawn maple neck, Real OFR Trem, 1 vol, 3 way, Gotoh tuners and 2 duncan pickups for a total of $961. Add SS Frets and it's an additional $20...

And I know I could build one considerably cheaper using other suppliers and sources for parts.

YMMV
                            No one's paying full MAP for these Charvels.

Comment

Originally posted by MEX3 View Post

Prove it.
                              Spec out a guitar using your parts. (new only, no used)
                              List them here with the prices.
                              Factor in your labor at whatever you feel is appropriate,

Let's see what you come out to.
                              I saw somebody say this on the gear page, but he couldn't make it affordable.
                              I doubt this will be any different.
                              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                              X