Restoration project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration project

Just completed this restoration. The body is an original early '80's San Dimas. Original surviving body parts are the p/u selector switch, volume knob and pot, input jack, brass cavity shielding, rear electronics cover/hardware, strap buttons, pickup rings and mount screws. Installed new Seymour Duncans (JB and '59) and new Kahler. Original pointy neck (long gone) has been replaced with a Musikraft "San Dimas", jumbo frets, medium C shape, trussrod adjustment at headstock, Floyd locknut shelf, no finish (neck ordered with just sealer). I applied 2 coats of Tru-Oil and buffed with 0000 steel wool, installed the Gotoh's, floyd nut and bar. Got the headstock decal from BestDecals.com. The spider web "graphic" is actually a decal also from BestDecals. The body is currently in flat black primer and someday will get a proper paint job, but for now I thought I would take a chance on the spider web decal. I'm glad I did as I think it came out pretty good. I'm still in the process of setting it up and fine tuning the action. Plays fine for now and I really like the Kahler.

Looks good Kahlers rock!
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Nice job, gotta love those Kahler's, just put one on my new project Tele...

Comment

Excellent restoration brother- looks cool! The Kahler bridge is tough looking and you have left yourself a lot of options for future customizing. Great job.

Comment

I've heard some not-so-good things about the new Kahlers. One from a Kahler guy who said the new one on his Hanneman ESP was "loose" and "sloppy." As a Kahler lover, I don't like to hear that - what's been your experience so far?
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

nice restoration...that turned out bad ass...killer spiderweb...congrats!
            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
            My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Love the non-ghey evil spidey!

Comment

Evil spidey is superb! One suggestion? Do the headstock to match!
                Then it would be one of the sickest ever! IMO

Comment

Hey man, that looks pretty nice.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    I've heard some not-so-good things about the new Kahlers. One from a Kahler guy who said the new one on his Hanneman ESP was "loose" and "sloppy." As a Kahler lover, I don't like to hear that - what's been your experience so far?
                    Actually, I did have a minor issue with the tension adjustment (threads weren't tapped properly). I got it ironed out though. Other than that, it's been fine.

They are very easy to disassemble and it should not be too difficult to diagnose the looseness/ sloppiness. Sounds like the cam attach screws could be loose.

Comment

[Nitpicking]
                      "Restoration" is inaccurate. "Rebuild" would be the proper term here, since a major component was replaced (the neck) with something definably different from the original.
                      [/Nitpick]
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        [Nitpicking]
                        "Restoration" is inaccurate. "Rebuild" would be the proper term here, since a major component was replaced (the neck) with something definably different from the original.
                        [/Nitpick]

Sweet guitar man. RedRacer, that Tele is pretty awesome too. Zebra wood?
                        Gibson SG Standard
                        Jackson DK2M Dinky
                        Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                        Roland Micro Cube
                        Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Yeah Dinky it's Zebrawood.

Comment

Nice, I like it!
                            Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Working...
                            X