Neck Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Care

To my knowledge, I've never owned a guitar that hasn't had a glossy or satin lacquered or painted neck. So, for a gunstock oil finish such as the production models, how do I care for the neck? Do I have to re-oil it? How do I re-oil it? And how often? :think:

This is the method I have used for a few years now on my oiled necks.

Q: How do I clean and maintain my Music Man neck?
    A: To clean the neck, use a high-grade of lemon oil. If the neck is very dirty, try Murphy's Oil Soap diluted 3:1. Some players have found that using a toothbrush for cleaning is very effective. Since the neck is finished only with the gunstock oil/wax blend, it is more susceptible to humidity changes. A very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Use a small amount, leave it on for just 5 minutes, then it off with a paper towel. After that, apply Birchwood-Casey Gunstock Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels. Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores or directly. Their web address is www.birchwoodcasey.com

This seems to be a good method. I usually do this a few times a year or more dependent on the neck, and how much I've played the guitar.
    I just did the neck on my new Charvel a few days ago
    Don

Comment

You will get alot of different opinions on this. I do clean and condition the fretboards 2-3 times per year with lemon oil, but I've never done anything to the rest of the neck. I've got necks that are 20+ years old and I have never oiled and waxed them and they are fine.

Comment

Cool thread. I've got 2 of the production models, so this'll help.
        My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Working...
        X