Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel USA Production - Why is truss rod nut at the heel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel USA Production - Why is truss rod nut at the heel?

I know there's a reason why Charvel (or any manufacturer for that matter) puts the truss rod nut at the heel but for the life of me, I can't think why. That's the one big reason why I won't buy one. I can't see having to loosen/take off the neck to adjust it. Bear in mind that I live in the Mid West so we have to tweak our necks a bit for seasonal changes.

Matt,
    My guess would be due to construction methods. It isnt a scarf cut neck and it makes it cleaner with the skunk strip slab neck to place the adjustment under the heel end of the fingerboard.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Gotch ya. Thank you Mike.

Comment

I figured maybe it was because the floyd nut got in the way. Strats have adjustment rods at the head, and they're one piece necks with no scarf joint. Either the floyd nut gets in the way or it makes the guitar more vintage.
        My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Locking nuts can work with headstock truss rod nuts, whether they're plug or bullet style so I figured that wasn't it.
          Last edited by Matt_B; 07-04-2009, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Where I live there is an up to 80 degree (celcius) temperature difference so the necks on my guitars like to shift. I bought a P-Bass with a neck heel adjusting truss rod. I never will again buy a guitar with that (Unless it's really nice. All my Strats and my Jackson have the other kind and it takes a quarter of the time to set them up.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I woulda been happy with the Wolfgang-type notch in the board.

I wonder how hard of a mod that is to pull off, actually?
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                I would too. I don't care where the truss rod nut is located. I just don't want to have to involve the neck screws in the equation.
                Last edited by Matt_B; 07-04-2009, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Frustrating or not, I think the heel is the right location for the truss rod adjustment on a strat neck.

Lived with it for 20 years, I can keep livin' with it.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    Frustrating or not, I think the heel is the right location for the truss rod adjustment on a strat neck.
                    Why do you think that?

Comment

Most of my guitars all have the truss rod adjustment at the heel. It's something you get used to. It's a hassle to have to pull the neck to adjust, and like Newc said, it would be great if they had the wheel like a Wolf. So much simpler In the past week, I've had to adjust two of my guitars, and will be adjusting the new Charvel after the neck settles. I live in a cold climate as well, and we all know how unfinished Maple necks are with temp and humidity changes .
                      I suppose for a vintage look, it accomplishes that purpose, but from a users stand point, it sure makes adjusting a real pain...
                      Don

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        blech.
                        those look terrible.
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Tradition, I guess, I would never buy a guitar with that because I'm superstitous that if you removed the neck, It may not sound the same when you put it back on, I know, that doesn't make sense! haha

Comment

I inquired about about this mod on a recent CS Charvel order. I was told that they will not do it. They did offer to use a PC1 neck and reshape the back but I do not care for 24 frets on a Charvel. I would gladly have payed an up charge to get this done.

Comment

They won't do a bullet at the headstock? I seem to remember we had the choice when we were deciding on specs for the Candy Red limited strathead run, but that was about 3 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X