Pre-Pro questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Pro questions

I need to find some info on a Charvel neck I have. It was originally on a ash star I had. My brother in law bought it in 1981 and it had been around for some time back then. The neck had the original small logo on it but some "expert" convinced him it wasn't a real Charvel and he sanded the logo off years ago. Ouch. He eventually replaced this neck with a G&L Rampage that he got when we both worked there in the late '80s. The guitar was eventually stolen but i still have the neck. There is no date or initals on it. It has a strat headstock, brass nut, rosewood fret markers, brass side markers. It has a fat fender c back to it and the original laquer. The one thing that really stands out is it has genuine Kluson tuners with the pressed in bushings. I've seen a few with Kluson type tuners but not real ones. Can anybody take a guess and date this neck? Did any other company use the rosewood fret inlays and brass dots? Also does anybody have or know info about the Dimarzio/Charvel guitars? I have one also and can't date it as there is no date or initials on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks guys.

Pics?
    -Rick

Comment

I can't post attachments here but will send some if you give me your email?

Comment

Just put them up on photobucket or flickr and link back.
        If that doesn't work out for you, PM me and I'll host the pics for you on my server.
        -Rick

Comment

Got the pics Jeff.

They are a little big, so I'll just post links.
          Are these all of the same neck?
          The first 3 pics look like a different neck.

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Pic5

Pic6

Pic7

Pic8
          Last edited by rjohnstone; 02-04-2009, 12:41 PM.
          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
            Got the pics Jeff.

They are a little big, so I'll just post links.
            Are these all of the same neck?
            The first 3 pics look like a different neck.

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Pic5

Pic6

Pic7
            Sorry, the first two are the Dimarzio strat, the remaining are the neck.

Comment

Added pic 8

Looks like a Fender neck too me, but I'll save final judgment to the other guys here who own them.
              -Rick

Comment

Added pic 8

Looks like a Fender neck too me, but I'll save final judgment to the other guys here who own them.
                It definitely has a Fender feel to it but did Fender use rosewood for the inlays or brass for the side dots and the smaller dot spacing on the 12th frets? The neck on the Dimarzio strat is most likely something else but this other one is really a weird one. Like i said in the 1st post it came with a Charvel logo but back then they could have just slapped logos on anything, right? Special thanks to Rick for hosting these pics.

Comment

Actually did a little research for you and Yes, the early necks did have Rosewood inlays with Brass side markers as an option.
                  So it is very possible that the neck is an early Charvel neck.
                  My guess is a 1979 or 1980 time frame.
                  Last edited by rjohnstone; 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM.
                  -Rick

Comment

Actually did a little research for you and Yes, the early necks did have Rosewood inlays with Brass side markers as an option.
                    Thanks Rick, now i just need to establish a timeline here.

Comment

Go here...
                      http://www.usacharvels.com/
                      LOTS of info for you.
                      -Rick

Comment

Go here...
                        http://www.usacharvels.com/
                        LOTS of info for you.
                        That's actually where i had gotten some of this info including that genuine Klusons were very rarely used.

Comment

Does anybody else have info on early Charvel necks and Dimarzio/Charvel guitars? I've read the USACharvels info and talked to the guy there but would like to find out more about these items. Thanks guys.

Comment

How many offers did you get for it?

Nice, but I'm not the guy. Someone will pop up shortly. But Tracy's one of several that would have all the info needed I think.
                            Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Strangletooth View Post
                              How many offers did you get for it?

Nice, but I'm not the guy. Someone will pop up shortly. But Tracy's one of several that would have all the info needed I think.
                              Is he a member here? I'm trying to find the ash star body that went with it but was stolen a couple of years ago. It was clear laquer with holographic stickers underneath it. Total '70s acid trip stuff. I'm having some pics scanned of it to put up here.

Comment

Working...
                              X