Question regarding ser# and year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding ser# and year

My Bengal Charvel has a serial number starting with "96" which means the plate was stamped in 1996. However, I have a pic of the guitar that was taken at the factoory before it was shipped to the dealer in 1998.

Considering those facts, which year would the proper one to use when referring to it's year of manufacturer?

If you have a hang tag with completion date, or if the pic you have is one of those with the specs & build date on a chalkboard behind the guitar, that's the date I'd use. Plates can be made and then sit around waiting for a build.

Comment

Thanks DG. I do have both a pic of the guitar w/chalkboard and Ihave the hang tags. '98 it is.

Comment

Starting with 96?
        Are you talking about a CS bolt-on?
        If so, it should start with 80xx if it's a 1996.
        -Rick

Comment

Rj- 2006, maybe. Not 1996. I think he's talking about a mid-90s etched plate, not the 3D variety.

Comment

Yep, there are pics of a few of them floating around. Around that time, they'd take a pic in front of the blackboard before sending it out. I remember the bengal, an awesome sub camo and a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              Starting with 96? Are you talking about a CS bolt-on?
              Yes.
              If so, it should start with 80xx if it's a 1996.
              No, the ser# starts with "96" and the hang tag says the guitar was finished on 06/16/98. It's the Charvel Bengal that used to belong to Ralph E. then Curt D.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                Yes.
                No, the ser# starts with "96" and the hang tag says the guitar was finished on 06/16/98. It's the Charvel Bengal that used to belong to Ralph E. then Curt D.
                My bad... for some reason I was thinking Jackson serial, not Charvel.
                -Rick

Comment

Hmm my demartini doesn't have the completion date filled in. All of my other usas did
                  This space for rent

Comment

Looks like one of the plates from the mid 90's San Dimas series...I used to have an SD III in trans green with one of these plates.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by tgreensl1 View Post
                      Hmm my demartini doesn't have the completion date filled in. All of my other usas did
                      That happens sometimes. I have a USA Select Kelly which I bought brand new and there is no date on the hang tag.
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                      X