Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Production series hardware - floyd rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production series hardware - floyd rose?

I've heard reports that the "ofr" on the production series is poorly made. Seeing as though it says floyd on it and not licensed, am i to belive its one of the Korean made floyds? If so, whats the exact model number? i know the jackson SL3 uses an FRT-2000 or something along those lines. Is it the same trem?
    THIS IS MY POST
    Thanks for reading

yes it's korean made with low quality metals, zinc block, zinc saddles and lord knows what the base plate is and the quality of that metal used for that is. of course they can say it's steel but what's not mentioned is that there's different qualities of steel and if they're using one of the cheapest metal possible for the saddles and block in zinc i highly doubt the base plate is made with high quality steel. anyway, as for the model number, no idea.

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I think it is quite likely to be the same model FRT as the pro series import jacksons...

It's not the end of the world, most reports say it's a decent trem, but the tone is the most subjective/controversial aspect of it due to the zinc...

Comment

I thought the ones made with zinc were the chinese made specials.

Comment

Don't believe the nonsense internet rumors. It's a very good quality Floyd, made in Korea. As good as a Schaller-made OFR? Nope, not quite. But it's a significantly better-made and quality trem than every "licensed under" Floyd that I've ever played.

If a "real" Schaller-made OFR is a 10, IMHO I'd give the made in Korea version a very solid 8+.

Comment

+1 on that, it's a solid trem. no issues so far, and I gig with mine regularly.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

+1 on its quality. The difference is minimal. I've gigged (and rehearsed) with mine every week since I got it last July, not a single issue. I re-string it every week too (yes, that's right!), still tightens up like it's brand new. I use this guitar along with my Soloist and SD re-issue at every gig, equal amount of time on each. The Production Model gets even more use at home and at rehearsal as it's the cheapest guitar I have, so I figure it doesn't matter if I scratch it. Might be changing my way of thinking on that though, I'm getting to love (and rely on) this guitar more and more. Hardware feels no different to my more 'up market' J/C's.

Comment

agreed the floyd on the production series is a tank. sounds 99.9% to me as well.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

No problems with the Korean Floyd here.

Comment

It's not like an OFR but it's not bad. I've seen much worse.
                    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
                      yes it's korean made with low quality metals, zinc block, zinc saddles and lord knows what the base plate is and the quality of that metal used for that is. of course they can say it's steel but what's not mentioned is that there's different qualities of steel and if they're using one of the cheapest metal possible for the saddles and block in zinc i highly doubt the base plate is made with high quality steel. anyway, as for the model number, no idea.

-Mike
                      Actually, a couple of years ago China had every steel plant in America running at capacity. Were they building tanks or OFRs? No one knows, but I'd wager they used at least some of it for the trems.

Only time and technology can tell. If you have access to the equipment, melt down one of these trems and see what it's made of, then compare that to a Schaller-made trem done the same way.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

if you guys dig the asian made trems (i'm still not actually sure if these things are korean or chinese since the story changes depending on who you talk to...so asian it is lol) then that's cool. i just don't like the tone (or IMO lack of) that the zinc block and saddles lead to. i much prefer the ring of brass to the dead thud of zinc. it's like vintage frets VS jumbo frets i guess, whatever works for you works for you and may not work for another guy. or steel blocks VS brass blocks on strat trems. or steel saddles VS graphite or titanium saddles, it's all about what works for the player to achieve their tonal goals. do they stay in tune, sure they do, i never said that was a problem. they just don't live up to my standards is all, i'm a picky SOB that works on high end custom along with vintage guitars all day long which has made me a bit of a stickler for details and not willing to compromise on things. i do like the necks on these thus why i keep buying them and modding the heck out of them. in all honesty, the neck on my slime green rivals the wood quality of my custom shop vintage eldred flamed charvel so these things certainly have potential if you're willing to hunt for the cream of the crop just like any mass produced guitar.

-Mike
                        www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Actually, a couple of years ago China had every steel plant in America running at capacity. Were they building tanks or OFRs? No one knows, but I'd wager they used at least some of it for the trems.

Only time and technology can tell. If you have access to the equipment, melt down one of these trems and see what it's made of, then compare that to a Schaller-made trem done the same way.
                          I don't have a comment on the difference between the FR's.

But about the steel industry...
                          The Chinese were churning out structural steel in enormous quantities made from scrap iron and scrap steel. Not the best way to make high quality tool grade steels.
                          Most high quality steel is still made in the US, Canada, Britian, Sweden, Japan, Germany, etc. mainly for domestic use.

US Steel made a lot of the stuff, but they weren't the only steelmakers in town.

Comment

One simple question..

If theses Korean floyds are so great then why aren't they on the custom shop guitars? Nuf said.

Comment

One simple question..

If theses Korean floyds are so great then why aren't they on the custom shop guitars? Nuf said.
                              If OFR are so great why did suhr stop using them? more to be said.

Comment

Working...
                              X