Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about the KV2 compared with SL1..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the KV2 compared with SL1..

hey guys

I just bought a nice SL1 but after bringing it home and jamming with it for a bit there's just something about it I can't get used to. I think it's the big frets. Good for riffing, but I just can't solo on them.

Also I really don't like the master volume knob thing (I like one for each pickup) so I'm really thinking about returning it and ordering something more to my liking (it was the only USA Jackson in the store) , especially after seeing all the cool new finishes like absinthe frost.

I have a KV1 Mustaine model made in the late 90's and it has much smaller frets, and a thinner neck. (just barely) but I really like that guitar, I can play it all day and can find nothing to complain about.. so basically where i'm going with this is, i was pretty sure the small frets were a thing Mustaine had requested, but somebody recently told me that the new KV2's still have the small fret size for whatever reason, while all the other USA jacksons have got the jumbo frets (Basically he said they are exactly like a KV1 but with a floyd). is that true? If so, I will definately be getting a KV2. also, the KV2's have the same "speed neck" as the KV1, right?

Thanks guys

Unless things have changed recently, yes, the KV2 has smaller frets than a Soloist, and the neck profile is the Jackson 'Speed' profile, like the KV1....
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Great, thanks. that's what I was hoping to hear. Now I just need to choose a finish.. I would go for metallic black but that's what the KV1 is..

can anyone who bought a KV2 recently confirm this?

and how much smaller are we talking?

Comment

They are different shapes.

so helpful
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have a '06 KV2 and it has the slim speed neck and medium frets. Just like late KV1s - confirmed

Comment

thanks, ordering today or tomorrow, just gotta choose finish.

I pretty much got it down to either absinthe frost or quicksilver.

just gotta find the whammy bar i lost from the soloist before I can take it back.. DOH!

Comment

Grahf, if you can't solo on a Soloist, you probably can't solo on anything. No offense, but the Soloist is the ultimate instrument for that kind of playing, it's why and what is was invented for, bro.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Actually the Soloist is better suited to those who can shred away on a Les Paul, SG, or other guitar commonly found to have jumbo frets. It all depends on your preference. Some people can't do squat on anything other than a Fretless Wonder.

I did find myself getting faster and more articulate with my Mustaine Pro and JCF01 due to the skinny frets, even though I had used mediums and jumbos for 10 years prior.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I don't notice the frets as much when switching guitars as I do the scale length 24.75 vs 25.5

Comment

I never could get comfortable with the speed neck profile and smaller frets when I bought a KV2 after years of playing Jacksons with the "normal" neck and extra jumbo frets. I think it's mostly the frets that bothered me, as I've played Jackson imports with super-thin necks that gave me no trouble, as long as the frets were still big.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                      Grahf, if you can't solo on a Soloist, you probably can't solo on anything. No offense, but the Soloist is the ultimate instrument for that kind of playing, it's why and what is was invented for, bro.
                      Nah man, you're wrong bro I can solo just fine (need proof...?) , it's just a lot harder to play fast on big frets (Even malmsteen will tell you that...). Especially for me since I'm used to medium\small ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahf View Post
                        Nah man, you're wrong bro I can solo just fine (need proof...?) , it's just a lot harder to play fast on big frets (Even malmsteen will tell you that...). Especially for me since I'm used to medium\small ones.
                        What I meant was that the Soloist was the first guitar that really made shredding and soloing easy to do without having to "fight" your instrument. Fenders and their single coil pickups sound weak and thin, Gibsons have terrible upper fret access. Neither have a stable tremolo. The Jackson Soloist was a "cure" for all of that. So seriously, if you find it hard to play on a Soloist, I'm not sure what you can play, they are the easiest and most comfortable guitars to play.
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

go with the quick silver finish ... a friend of mine has a QS KV2 and its badass

Comment

the ygm strat has super jumbo frets i believe? I sorta like tiny frets myself.

Comment

Working...
                            X