Trans Black woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans Black woes

I've been contemplating the finish I want on my CS Kelly Star, and I really wanted to do that sexy ivoroid binding with the quilted trans black finish like on the Marty Friedman sig KE1s.

The problem is, I've seen very different trans blacks and I'm not so sure how nice it is going to look on the KS shape. I've seen the trans blacks that have a brownish fade and trans blacks that have that greenish fade.

^ Which I don't want but have seen on some Jacksons

But I can't seem to come up with anything else.

I want that really nice greenish fade, is it a toss up or can I request it in the spec sheet? (Picture taken from a member here)

Also, anyone else want to throw me some design ideas for this body shape:

I think quilted trans black like on that Kelly on a KS is a great idea. I'd go for it.
    I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Hawk View Post
      I think quilted trans black like on that Kelly on a KS is a great idea. I'd go for it.
      Do you think I'd have to specify the finish a little bit?

Comment

You can spec the finish to be pretty much exactly how you want. And it'd definitely be worth making the effort with a colour like trans-black, because as you say, there are many variations. Also, you should spec if you want a burst and if so, how much.

I've sent them in sample pics for them to match before, and even got them to send me a colour sample (4x6 piece of quilt maple sprayed in a test colour for me to approve).

But whatever, MAKE SURE EVERYTHING YOU WANT IS NOTED IN THE WORK-ORDER That way, you should be fine, but if not, you can get them to build it again....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Flamed vs Quilted maple trans black...

I think both look great. It depends very much on the angle and lightning how it looks. Top pic for example, doesn't really look like that in real life. Photos can make them look really good or really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob From Accounting View Post

I think both look great. It depends very much on the angle and lightning how it looks. Top pic for example, doesn't really look like that in real life. Photos can make them look really good or really bad.
            I'm going quilted for sure if I do that Marty Friedman finish.

But I guess I'm going to have to specify a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob From Accounting View Post

Excellent point.

I've had a couple of trans-black guitars and they were nearly impossible to photograph in a way that would capture how the finish actually looked in person.

Depending on the lighting the photos would often take on either a purple, grey, brown, or greenish look to 'em compared to the actual color.

I think your best bet would be to request a trans-black color sample from Jackson for approval so you can see what it looks like in person.

Comment

Working...
              X