New (old) Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (old) Warrior

Ok, folks, just got this in the other day. Finally. Its a warrior from the original run in the early 90's. The graphic is a bit silly imho, but its in great shape, so I had to get it. Maybe it'll get a refin eventually. The neck feels just a hair thicker than my newer WR1's, but not by much and it plays great. The pickups don't turn me on, but the electronics are kinda interesting. The rear knob seems to double as a tone control and , for lack of a better term, a wah control. The mini switch goes between the two. I figured it had a boost circuit, but it doesn't sound like any boost I've ever heard. It acually sounds like a wah pedal as you turn the knob. Anyone with knowledge of this would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, on to a few pics ..................

I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Yummy!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on finally getting it home! DON'T REFIN IT! I like it
    Last edited by wilkinsi; 10-31-2008, 04:55 PM.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

love that graphic. i wanted that on a dinky or fusion
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

That is a really sweet axe right there. It being from the original run from the early 90s makes it all that cooler too Love the slanted board

The wah control, anything like this in your control cavity, by any chance?
        http://store.guitarfetish.com/onswwamiboco.html
        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

cool guitar. very sexy as well
          Own:
          '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
          w/e catches my eyes ATM
          More '90 Professionals

Comment

that wah circuit is the JE-1500 mid sweep, and those pick ups do suck.
            METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
              That is a really sweet axe right there. It being from the original run from the early 90s makes it all that cooler too Love the slanted board

The wah control, anything like this in your control cavity, by any chance?
              http://store.guitarfetish.com/onswwamiboco.html
              Nope, I think its original electronics. I like the idea, but I don't know how often I'd use it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                that wah circuit is the JE-1500 mid sweep, and those pick ups do suck.
                Cool, thanks for the info ! And yeah, I'm not liking the pickups too much. I'm gonna have to look into some to put in there. Shame I can't put a normal humbucker in it, as I'd like to go with an Evo. I don't have any experience with stacked singles, so it may take a bit of experimentation.

Comment

If you get an oversized pup ring from budman, and dont mind trimming those ears between the stock pickups a humbucker will go in there.
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

That JE-1500 is an envelope filter when the switch is engaged. And like you said, that allows you to turn the last knob to create a fixed wah sound. If you trill a note you can turn the knob really fast with your right hand and get an actual wah. When the switch is disengaged, it acts as a mid boost, only in reverse. Roll the 2nd knob back and the mids come full in. Turn it all the way up and you cut the mids out. Those are Armstrong pickups, and on my 2 Warriors they sound very complete. If you do replace them try some EMG-S models, but make sure you wire the bridge position correctly on the switch to get both pickups together.
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

That is called the "Pop Art" graphic, I used to have a Dinky with that same artwork...very cool warrior!!!

Comment

That thing is cool!!!

i'm not man enough to wield it live.... but cool nonetheless!
                        USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
                        USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

Well, if he doesn't like it, Chris can send it my way
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I'm gonna let it be for the time being. Its in such good shape that I'm not sure I want to make any permenant mods, so the electronics may be the only change. I may even call Dimarzio and see what may be possible.

Hey, Randy, you'd hafta be in a Poison cover band to play this one live

The finish as grown on me in the past few days, so a refin may not even be in the cards. I'm just gonna let it perculate in my brain for a bit and see what pops up.

I name all my guitars, for some reason, and the "Pop Art" graphic made me name this one Pop Tart. So even if it gets the meanest most nastiest Learn graphic later on, the name stays.

Comment

Definitely avoid a refin. You might be able to trade that to someone for another color if it bothers you that much.

While the pickups don't exactly exude a Metal tone, they're not bad. If you do swap them out, I'd recommend a Duncan JBJr for the Bridge1 slot (closest to the trem) and a neck-position Hot Rails in Bridge2 (when mixed with the JB, you get a very nice crunch tone).

Of course you need the old ones without the center tab, or have Duncan make them for you.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X