uli's tokyo tapes "fly to the rainbow" solo tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uli's tokyo tapes "fly to the rainbow" solo tone

okay....i have been working for a few years to get the sound the uli roth achieves during the solo/poem section of "fly to the rainbow" of the "tokyo tapes" CD. i am NOT talking about his strat or the old marshall - more the delay and "swirling" effects he used.

i am looking to incorporate a SIMILAR (not exact) tone into my rig for live performances. i want that bluesy/hendrixish swirling during his solo.

my current rig is a rivera S120 running in a wet/dry setup with the dry signal feeding 2 rivera c112 cabs loaded with EVM12L speakers. the wet side feeds a mesa recto 2x12 with V30's.

my current effects pedals are: VOX wah -> MXR EVH phase 90 -> sansamp classic (for light grit on clean channel) -> yamaha distortion (for medium grit on clean channel) -> amp

i use a digitech effects processor in my rack (runs in the loop and splits the wet/dry signal)

my main guitar is my holoflake SL-1, though i play PC-1's on stage too, depending on my mood. though i am consider playing one of my fenders for the song i am thinking of....

i want this sound for a QUARTER of ONE song, so i don't want to hear about all these exotic expensive pedals. we're talking MAYBE a minute and 50 seconds.....

i was thinking the swirl could be achieved with a univibe, but i am not sure.

thanks!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Can't you get the "swirl" from a flange or phaser?
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

well, i thought the MXR would get me close, but it just isn't enough....and it seems different. it's hard to explain. i have one of those digitech digital pahsers too, but that thing is more complicated than programming a rack!!!

i am redo all my rack setting this weekend to go along with the new midi-controller i am taking to the carribean, so maybe i will play with one of the phaser effects in the rack....it may be cooler as a loop effect than a front effect....
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I am pretty sure its a phase shifter.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
          okay....i have been working for a few years to get the sound the uli roth achieves during the solo/poem section of "fly to the rainbow" of the "tokyo tapes" CD. i am NOT talking about his strat or the old marshall - more the delay and "swirling" effects he used.

i am looking to incorporate a SIMILAR (not exact) tone into my rig for live performances. i want that bluesy/hendrixish swirling during his solo.

my current rig is a rivera S120 running in a wet/dry setup with the dry signal feeding 2 rivera c112 cabs loaded with EVM12L speakers. the wet side feeds a mesa recto 2x12 with V30's.

my current effects pedals are: VOX wah -> MXR EVH phase 90 -> sansamp classic (for light grit on clean channel) -> yamaha distortion (for medium grit on clean channel) -> amp

i use a digitech effects processor in my rack (runs in the loop and splits the wet/dry signal)

my main guitar is my holoflake SL-1, though i play PC-1's on stage too, depending on my mood. though i am consider playing one of my fenders for the song i am thinking of....

i want this sound for a QUARTER of ONE song, so i don't want to hear about all these exotic expensive pedals. we're talking MAYBE a minute and 50 seconds.....

i was thinking the swirl could be achieved with a univibe, but i am not sure.

thanks!!
          I just got finished listening to the song and not sure what you mean by "Swirling" effect. I don't hear anything like that unless you're talking about near the very end of the song where it pans back and forth real fast from speaker to speaker on a stereo system.
          I hear (of course) distortion, a very quick slap back delay with multible repeats, tremelo arm on the strat used quite a bit, volume knob swells and possibly a little bit of muteing of the tone done with a wah pedal. On the middle section of the song with the more mellow parts it sounds like the chorus on an old Roland Space echo tape delay (which I know he used) On other songs with heavy distortion and delay when he's doing some dive bomb type trem licks it definatly sounds like he has a Univibe pedal on.
          I have a Fulltone De'ja Vibe that will recreate that sound pretty well!

Comment

Where's Bill? He's the Uli authority and might be able to answer this.

Comment

Working...
            X