Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HippieTim... interested on how the GT-10 stacks up with the G Force?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HippieTim... interested on how the GT-10 stacks up with the G Force?

I know you havent had much time...but it will be interesting if the
    the Boss, is only 25% less overall quality of effects? If the G Force justs kills it...then
    im on my way to T.C. Electronic!

If you mean the G-System then I can give you some feedback. They are slightly different animals that have a good bit of overlapping functionality.

Here is an overview of the differences (at least that matter to me):
    1. The G-System has no amp or cabinet simulations - IOW, you need an amp/preamp.
    2. The G-System has a single effects signal chain per patch vs. the dual chain in the GT-10 - this doesn't matter much to me given that the G-System has no preamps which is where this is most useful with the GT-10.
    3. The G-System has 4 effects loops plus a dedicated loop for your amp/preamp that works very well and can be locked for all patches - meaning you don't have to manually turn it on for every patch. The loops are positioned at a fixed point after the compressor and filter but before modulation/delay/pitch/reverb.
    4. The GT-10 has a single loop that you can put whatever you want in the signal chain.
    5. The G-System has reprogrammable footswitches (all but 3 of them are programmable) that are globally configured vs. the GT-10's two CTL footswitches that are configured per patch.
    6. The G-System has no distortion/overdrive effects.
    7. The G-System can power your stompboxes.
    8. The G-System has a good tuner that can be activated easily via a single footswitch.
    9. The G-System has a dedicated tap-tempo footswitch.
    10. The G-System "brain" can be rack mounted. This is kickass. I put pedals and such in the rack. All that's on the floor is the G-System unit and a wah.
    In terms of effects tones, it's a tough call. The G-System sounds excellent and so does the GT-10. I'd give the nod to the G-System in terms of clarity and the pitch effects are much better. Being able to integrate additional effects so easily with the G-System is fantastic. The G-System seems like it is better made to me. I like the footswitches. I think the G-System has a better user interface as well. The Boss is probably easier to get started with but I can make much more rapid changes with less navigating menus with the G-System.

My main rig is a Brunetti Mille preamp with the G-System. I am setting the GT-10 up as a backup with a Rocktron Velocity power amp.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Hippietim / Bill Z Bub 2008
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Based on 6., I'd prefer the GT-10. I couldn't demo the G-System on it's own. I would need a computer to do that, being as I found the unit's interface to be very non-intuitive. The G-Force is a rack processor, very similar in use to the Fireworx. You can edit FX blocks in a grid-type matrix.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thanks for the review...

Comment

imo the delays and reverbs in the g are faaaaaaaar superior to the GT-10. The reverbs are very lush and rich and the delays are very musical in the t.c. stuff. Not that close actually to my ears. YMMV

Comment

I just tried a GT-10 today. Nice piece of kit actually. I figured out the majority of it without the manual. Sadly, I was in need of a pickup swap and spent £200 on that. I may still get the GT-10, though I have yet to figure out how you get two preamps active simultaneously and use the looper. I think I'll be quite happy with one, given how much more a G-Force would cost (about two thirds of a WR1).
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

its not an apples to apples comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  its not an apples to apples comparison.
                  exactly. that's why i did the differences table thingee.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
                    imo the delays and reverbs in the g are faaaaaaaar superior to the GT-10. The reverbs are very lush and rich and the delays are very musical in the t.c. stuff. Not that close actually to my ears. YMMV
                    Sure the TC stuff sounds better. But the Boss sounds damn good. And if you're using either as a basic delay for your solos, a little bit of chorus for your clean tone, etc. I promise you that both will do the job just dandy with a full band rockin' in a bar.

I have the choice and I am using the G-System with a nice preamp/poweramp setup. But the Boss rig has some kickass tones as well. It also has a lot of features not present on the G-System.

- Newc

Comment

yeah, I feel ya. No its not apples to apples. All I'm saying is that the "musicality" of the tc stuff is waaaaaay better IMO. again YMMV

Comment

Should i consider adding maybe the G minor to my GT-10 for extra stuff?
                        Or would this just be overkill...and signal loss?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          Should i consider adding maybe the G minor to my GT-10 for extra stuff?
                          Or would this just be overkill...and signal loss?
                          Considering a G-Minor is discontinued MIDI controller I'd say it's not a great idea

A G-Major could be a cool addition although I think it would just be complicating an otherwise simple and elegant rig.

What are you trying to get that you aren't getting from the GT-10?

- Newc

Comment

In the late 90's I used a Boss GX700. For clean sounds, I didn't like the delay, so I added a TC D-TWO. The result was instant success.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

I can't think of anything you would lack if you have a GT-10. Heck... I have a GT-8 and I can get just about any tone or effect on the planet.

Comment

Working...
                              X