X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Custom Shop guitar was approved! Help me decide on some specs

My Kelly Star was approved.

I'm trying to decide on a bridge.

Should I go Kahler 3300 or a hard tail and why?

Originally posted by JacksonVHT View Post

Nice!

What body wood/neck wood did you go with? From my experience, I like a tunamatic/hardtail bridge on an all Mahogany guitar. Alder/Maple or Poplar/Maple I like the Kahler 3310. Seems to give the tone a little more articulation to my ears.

Congrats on the order . I too have a custom on order and I am getting a Kahler 3310 with black saddles.

What other specs you going for? Color, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
      Nice!

What body wood/neck wood did you go with? From my experience, I like a tunamatic/hardtail bridge on an all Mahogany guitar. Alder/Maple or Poplar/Maple I like the Kahler 3310. Seems to give the tone a little more articulation to my ears.

Congrats on the order . I too have a custom on order and I am getting a Kahler 3310 with black saddles.

What other specs you going for? Color, etc.
      Totally agree. I just ordered a King V - Mahagony - Tuna - String Thru Body
      Jeff Smeltz

Comment

It's pretty simple--do you use a trem or not? If you don't, I personally think the TOM bridge is a lot nicer than the Kahler 3310 fixed bridge. The 3310 doesn't have very good sustain, to my ears and can be tinny sounding.

Comment

TOM bridge over a Kahler any day. I can't stand the sight of Kahlers.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

TOM.... kahlers are just ugly

Comment

If you go TOM do string-through. The stop tail will detract from the coolness of your new axe

Comment

I am interested in that new bridge from Schaller called Hannes.
                It's about more body-contact than a TOM but less vibrating parts than a Kahler.
                '97 KV1 alder

Comment

I'm getting the Kelly Star with the following:

1/8 Quilted Maple Top on a Mahogany body

Ebony fretboard on a quartersawn maple neck

Dunlop 6105 fret wire, jumbo narrows

Transparent black with Ivoroid binding around the body, neck and fretboard.

Matching finish on the headstock. (Non reversed)

24 frets

Bone nut, Sperzel tuners, black hardware

Pups will be a SH-2 Jazz neck and TB4 Bridge.

I may be forgetting something.

I used the Marty Friedman signature Kelly look for it.

So basically (This is using some forumites pictures):

With this color theme:

The main reason why I want to go with a Kahler is because they sit low to the body like the Floyd Rose on my KV which I'm very comfortable and used to playing, while it seems to sit higher with a TOM. I feel a little more sloppier playing like that, but if you folks think TOM would be the way to go I may do that.

Thank you!

Comment

With a mahogany body/maple top I would most likely go with a string-thru TOM bridge. I believe there is a different neck angle used for guitars with a TOM.

I have seen a couple of guitars where they have recessed the TOM bridge. Carvin comes to mind. Here's a pic..

That might be something you could inquire about if you wanted that lower Floyd like feel without opting for a Kahler.

Comment

I'm getting the Kelly Star with the following:

1/8 Quilted Maple Top on a Mahogany body

Ebony fretboard on a quartersawn maple neck

Dunlop 6105 fret wire, jumbo narrows

Transparent black with Ivoroid binding around the body, neck and fretboard.

Matching finish on the headstock. (Non reversed)

24 frets

Bone nut, Sperzel tuners, black hardware

Pups will be a SH-2 Jazz neck and TB4 Bridge.

I may be forgetting something.

I used the Marty Friedman signature Kelly look for it.

So basically (This is using some forumites pictures):

With this color theme:

The main reason why I want to go with a Kahler is because they sit low to the body like the Floyd Rose on my KV which I'm very comfortable and used to playing, while it seems to sit higher with a TOM. I feel a little more sloppier playing like that, but if you folks think TOM would be the way to go I may do that.

Thank you!
                      Very nice, but imo...And matching Headstock, is a nice touch!

Comment

The neck angle for a TOM would be steeper, thus raising the strings further away from the top of the body.

Personally I wouldn't go for the Kahler, but the 3310 is a flat-mount, which means no routing. If you wanted to have it changed to a TOM later, you could do it easily.

I wouldn't do string-through, though. Makes the guitar look like it's trying to be a violin. Get a stopbar, or if you're dead-set on stringthrough, get a symmetrical V-plate.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                          What body wood/neck wood did you go with? From my experience, I like a tunamatic/hardtail bridge on an all Mahogany guitar.
                          You mean tunomatic/stoptail. A hardtail is what Fender uses on its non-trem guitars.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The main reason why I want to go with a Kahler is because they sit low to the body like the Floyd Rose on my KV which I'm very comfortable and used to playing
                            Then you want a hardtail bridge.
                            Here's my Fender with hardtail.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              Personally I wouldn't go for the Kahler, but the 3310 is a flat-mount, which means no routing. If you wanted to have it changed to a TOM later, you could do it easily.
                              I didn't know that - I assumed they'd have the same rout as the trem version. But that makes sense

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              I wouldn't do string-through, though. Makes the guitar look like it's trying to be a violin. Get a stopbar, or if you're dead-set on stringthrough, get a symmetrical V-plate.
                              I feel exactly the opposite. The stop bar would look goofy & ruin the flow of this pointy axe. And a V-plate would look out of whack with the KS body.

Stringthrough looks much cleaner, and if you wanted to, the entry holes could follow the line of the edge of the guitar. That would seem more "custom" and look nicer than a generic stopbar or V-plate
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X