THD Hotplate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD Hotplate question

I'm looking at getting a 50-watt head next year with a 2x12 (16 ohm) cab. The THD Hotplate has been recommended to me as being a really good-sounding attenuator as well as being a really good value, cost-wise.

From reading over the user's manual, it appears that there could be another benefit to the THD. There is a line out that is apparently independent of the speaker outs and the line out also has its own level control.

So I'm curious if anyone has used the line-out. What I'm looking to do is is run the head into the Hotplate then run into the 2x12 cab and also send the line-out to the P.A. Along with that, it doesn't sound like there's any speaker emulation on the line-out signal (THD says the "bright" and "deep" switches tend to act backwards on the line-out), so would it work to send the line-out signal through a Palmer DI before going to the P.A.?

Thanks for the help.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

I think the line out is for running a wet/dry setup or for taking an amp like an old non master volume Marshall, cranking it up through the hotplate, then going from the line out to an effects processor--> poweramp. It allows you to use the head as a preamp. Running it straight to a PA would be like running a preamp straight in, no speaker emulation.

Comment

If the Palmer DI accepts line level inputs that could work for you. The line out on my hotplate sounds different than the line out on my amp - a little darker in general. Both take well to cabinet impulse files and other cabinet simulations. ADA Microcab II is an excellent hardware unit for your purpose.

Comment

I have a hotplate. I have run raight into the board from my head using the line out. It sounds ok but not nearly as good as running it into cabs and using it as an attenuator.

Comment

The line out doesn't sound good going direct into the board. You need to DI it.

Comment

Thanks, guys. It sounds like the Palmer unit will still be useful.
            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

The Palmer PDI-09 is great. I also have a H&K Redbox which is very nice. Behringer makes a Redbox clone called the Ultra-G GI100 which is actually decent. The worst one I had was that that ADA MicroCab.

The Palmer smokes them all.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
              X