Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making vacuum tubes...

No, not home made... duh...

But, did you ever kinda wonder how tubes were made?

This is old footage but still probably all quite relevant to production... Instead of British employees, they're now Russian etc... haha...

I found this Mullard footage totally interesting... Guess I see why they have a bit of a price tag to them.

http://www.techtubevalves.com/about_us/film_reels.php

my dad worked in a phillips tube factory as a teenager. he said it was a lot like making light bulbs. personally, it seems more complicated - but those are his words.

in fact, he was surprised when my first rivera arrived and it had "valves". he knew my vintage fender amps had tubes because he remembers when they were new, but was shocked that modern amps still used tubes.

it was funny.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I emailed sales at Tech tube a month ago. They are going to start selling tubes very soon. Next up will be an EL34, followed by EL84, KT66, and KT88. All manufactured at the factory in the UK. At first the sales will be direct.

Cheers,
      Mike
      Mike Fortin
      Fortin Amplification, Inc.
      http://www.fortinamps.com

Comment

Hey Mike, Welcome to the board and thanks for the heads up on them.

I'd heard late October, but they were having some "niggles" haha... I assume that means issues.

Will be interesting to see what they bring to the table. Apparently 12ax7s at around $35-45us? If they are NOS quality, that will seem like a deal.

I'm extremely apprehensive. Mmm KT88... Much excitement.

Comment

Very cool!
          Your friendly neighborhood import whore :: '08 DK2M, '08 DKMG, '03 KVX10, '94 Dinky Rev.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
            Hey Mike, Welcome to the board and thanks for the heads up on them.

I'd heard late October, but they were having some "niggles" haha... I assume that means issues.

Will be interesting to see what they bring to the table. Apparently 12ax7s at around $35-45us? If they are NOS quality, that will seem like a deal.

I'm extremely apprehensive. Mmm KT88... Much excitement.
            Thank you, it's good to be here
            Oct. is what I was told as well, still no tubes. I'm very hopeful that they will be awesome since they are actually moving forward with the design of the ECCxx and not a copy of previous releases. No other company has done so since back in the tube days.

I'm looking forward to testing these tubes out.

Happy Halloween,
            Mike
            Mike Fortin
            Fortin Amplification, Inc.
            http://www.fortinamps.com

Comment

Working...
            X